can i make this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay I've wanted gbr for over a year now. So I bought a 29 gallon tank for some. Sadly my angels were too aggressive when breeding and I had to move them to my 29 so now its stocked. I was wondering is there anything I could move around in my tanks in order for me to get some gbr.

I have
2 angels
1 albino bn pleco

1 ctenopoma
4 lemon tetras
2 boesmani rainbows
1 trifishciata rainbow
8 black skirt tetras
2 dwarf gourami
2 bristlenose pleco.

Please note that I will be adding a few lemon tetras and a few boesmanis to complete my school.

If you provide proper cover a few could work in the 29 gallon along with the Angels.

My Angel Fish have never gotten super aggressive when breeding and if the Rams have multiple places to hide it should be fine. Rams are a lot faster than Angels.

How many GBR's are you getting? If it's just one, i would put him in the 55. From experience, black skirts are a great dither fish for the ram. Mine used to shoal with them, no b.s. in fact, he was not territorial whatsoever.

How many GBR's are you getting? If it's just one, i would put him in the 55. From experience, black skirts are a great dither fish for the ram. Mine used to shoal with them, no b.s. in fact, he was not territorial whatsoever.

I think I would want a pair. As my 29 is moderately planted I think I would be okay. Interesting fact though that the rams would follow the tetras. Also I have a pH of 8-8.2 is this okay?

Not to insult vanimal but is there someone else who could chime in and agree with him. I know I'm stubborn but I really like my angles and don't want more issues with them than they have already caused me.

FWIW, I wouldn't put a pair of rams in a 29 with a pair of angels, there just isn't enough room. You could probably squeeze a pair in the 55 though.

FWIW, I wouldn't put a pair of rams in a 29 with a pair of angels, there just isn't enough room. You could probably squeeze a pair in the 55 though.

Okay I know what you mean angels are large fish. Sadly I think they either have a genetic issue or were stunted at the breeder. The are a year and a half old and their bodies are only roughly 3 inches long. One a little smaller even. I've had them for almost a year and a half in my 55 most of the time and my 29 for a little while. That have laid eggs together and seem to be very happy at the front of the glass waiting for food every time I walk into the room. They have always been fed high quality flakes and brine shrimp and bloodworms. I don't know I I did anything wrong but I think they were stunted in the past.

I think I would want a pair. As my 29 is moderately planted I think I would be okay. Interesting fact though that the rams would follow the tetras. Also I have a pH of 8-8.2 is this okay?

Not to insult vanimal but is there someone else who could chime in and agree with him. I know I'm stubborn but I really like my angles and don't want more issues with them than they have already caused me.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with your pH here but from what I understand most of the fish you stock prefer more acidic water than alkaline. Especially the gbr. They can be pretty finicky when introduced into a new tank if its not just right to there liking.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with your pH here but from what I understand most of the fish you stock prefer more acidic water than alkaline. Especially the gbr. They can be pretty finicky when introduced into a new tank if its not just right to there liking.

Called my LFS today and special ordered 2. Sadly I couldn't chose the gender so hopefully I get a male and female but I may end up with two females or two males. Would having two of the same sex be an issue?

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure in the 55 they would be fine as they would have space to set up territories but I'm not one hundred percent sure. I know for breeding standards if you had 2 pairs and you wanted them both to breed at a minimum you would need a 40 gal tank as from what I've read most gbrs won't breed unless in a space of 20 gal or more and you would need to add 20 gal of tank space for each new pair that was put in the tank, suggesting that the fish get along, but might be territorial with there spawning areas.

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure in the 55 they would be fine as they would have space to set up territories but I'm not one hundred percent sure. I know for breeding standards if you had 2 pairs and you wanted them both to breed at a minimum you would need a 40 gal tank as from what I've read most gbrs won't breed unless in a space of 20 gal or more and you would need to add 20 gal of tank space for each new pair that was put in the tank, suggesting that the fish get along, but might be territorial with there spawning areas.

I'm not really planning on reeding them actually.

You guys are thinking that the 55 would be a better option.

Okay I know what you mean angels are large fish. Sadly I think they either have a genetic issue or were stunted at the breeder. The are a year and a half old and their bodies are only roughly 3 inches long. One a little smaller even. I've had them for almost a year and a half in my 55 most of the time and my 29 for a little while. That have laid eggs together and seem to be very happy at the front of the glass waiting for food every time I walk into the room. They have always been fed high quality flakes and brine shrimp and bloodworms. I don't know I I did anything wrong but I think they were stunted in the past.

I wasn't speaking too much of the size of the angelfish but the aggression of cichdlids when they spawn. They get very territorial and a pair of angels and potentially a pair of rams in a 29 is probably asking for trouble.

I wasn't speaking too much of the size of the angelfish but the aggression of cichdlids when they spawn. They get very territorial and a pair of angels and potentially a pair of rams in a 29 is probably asking for trouble.

Okay I think I will put them in my 55 then.

Thanks for the advice.

What temp should I Aime for I think my 55 is at 76-77 now.

Glad to see you are leaning towards the 55. You will be much better off not taking the chance in the 29. I keep my tank around 75 degrees, and it seems to work well.

I've been noticing Rams have become more readily available as of late. Just yesterday, the Petland Discounts near my house had beautiful Gold Rams available for 10 bucks each. Normally, big box stores would be avoided. But I'm lucky enough that I have a few that have knowledgable employees that actually take care of the department. You will see them near you soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom