Can i move my pregnant platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my red mickey mouse platy is pregnant and about five to ten days away from birth. Right now she is in a ten gallon with one male and two other female platys and some guppys. Can i move her to my two gallon birthing tank or will that stress her out? Thanks!

You can move up to a couple of days before she drops.

My platy dropped in a 5 gallon with some java moss and a box filter. Nothing else. The tank was in a dark corner and she delivered with no problems. :)

So my red mickey mouse platy is pregnant and about five to ten days away from birth. Right now she is in a ten gallon with one male and two other female platys and some guppys. Can i move her to my two gallon birthing tank or will that stress her out? Thanks!
You can, but make sure to do it quickly and as unstressfully (I don't think that's a word) as you can. You can get a moss ball. Remember that she is going to eat her fry after they are born, so I hope you have a way to save some of the fry.

Ya there are a lot of decorations in the two right now and i have a breeder trap

She is kind if hiding behind the filter and staying in one spot. Is she about to drop? Should i move her to the breeder?

phoenixkiller said:
Remember that she is going to eat her fry after they are born, so I hope you have a way to save some of the fry.

I think that all depends Phoenix, I've had guppies that did just fine with their fry (not eating them I mean) usually when a livebearer has babies they are to tired to eat. Now i'm not saying that's the case with all the moms but that how it was with all of mine.

jrskater1999 said:
She is kind if hiding behind the filter and staying in one spot. Is she about to drop? Should i move her to the breeder?

Its possible she is about to drop, if you want to move her then I'd say do it. My last drop was with my guppy, I moved her into the nursery tank and 10 minutes later she dropped

butterfly_koi said:
I think that all depends Phoenix, I've had guppies that did just fine with their fry (not eating them I mean) usually when a livebearer has babies they are to tired to eat. Now i'm not saying that's the case with all the moms but that how it was with all of mine.

Its possible she is about to drop, if you want to move her then I'd say do it. My last drop was with my guppy, I moved her into the nursery tank and 10 minutes later she dropped

Thats kinda what i was thinking. After a human gives birth im pretty sure they arent like "can i have a Big Mac?"

Okay so she is hanging by the filter for a few hours now so i unplugged the filter so the fry dont get sucked up.

jrskater1999 said:
Thats kinda what i was thinking. After a human gives birth im pretty sure they arent like "can i have a Big Mac?"

I'm not saying it can't happen, with all of mine it hasn't but some people have seen mamas eat their babies. So its good to just keep an eye in her.

Remember that she is going to eat her fry after they are born, so I hope you have a way to save some of the fry.

Not if there are a lot of hiding places. The best possible way to do it would be to have many different fake plants and a lot of java moss.

I'm just sayin', if you want maximum fry survival, you need a way to keep the majority of them safe.

Remember to tell us when she drops!

Yes, and that way is to provide hiding places or use a fry saver. It's impossible to tell exactly when she'll have her fry, and when she does, it's unlikely that you'll notice her in the process of it. It is much easier to have hiding spots or use a fry saver and then get the fry out.

Ok so she still hasnt given birth and is still hanging by the filter. Whats up?

Back
Top Bottom