Can I? New filter & cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, your right on track! Your amm should continue to be processed faster & faster- soon, it will zero in 24hrs (or less). Your nitrites will spike & then start to drop as well as your nitrates start to increase. Once your tank can process a dose of ammonia fully to nitrate in 24hrs, your cycled! :)

So I can add fish when ammonia and nitrites are BOTH zero correct? I'm assuming having to do a large water change after that if my nitrates are too high...

FishyBusiness said:
So I can add fish when ammonia and nitrites are BOTH zero correct? I'm assuming having to do a large water change after that if my nitrates are too high...

Correct but its always good to give it a couple extra days after you think its done

Once your tank is steadily (as in a couple of days in a row) zeroing amm/nitrite in a 24hr timeframe, its safe to say your cycled. Then, you will need to do a big water change to drop your nitrates down to your tap level- this may take more than one 100% wc. If your temp is bumped up, gradually start dropping by 1-2 degrees each day (once your tank is fully processing the amm dose to nitrate, not before this) until your tank is at the temp you want for your fish. :)

Quick question. My tank is cycling pretty well and my ammonia is now getting down to .25 in 12 hours. Can I redose ammonia at 12 hours or still wait the 24? (my nitrites are still half way up the chart and nitrates are at 1.5)- if that makes a difference.

Today I'm at

Ammo .25
Trites 1
Trates 20

I'm getting frustrated because my ammonia never goes below .25 and my nitrates stay at 1 but my nitrates continue to slowly go up. I have been cycling my tank for 2 weeks with a TON of seeded material. I am using the test strips. I tested my cycled 20 gallon and it kinda shows the same thing but I did add fish last week when I did a water change. I can't get the API master for a few more weeks but I wonder if I should continue doing this assuming my strips are accurate or do a water change and put a few fish in assuming the strips are false positives. I don't know! Weird because before I went to work last night my levels were exactly the same as this morning, just 12 hours after dosing. How can it be the same still 12 hours later??!!

#frustrated

Sorry! I don't know why I didn't think of testing my tap water before my last post a min ago but unless my tap water has .25 ammonia in it my strips are false. I doubt there's ammonia in tap water. Maybe something for me to google same with nitrates... Hmmm.

Don't trust the strips go get yourself a liquid api master kit

That's fine since your cycling just make sure you keep an ammonia source present

My ammonia consistently reads 0.25. In all three of my tanks. I don't worry about it bc two of my tanks have been cycled almost a year and I have not lost any fish. I just worry when it is higher:)

If I do a large wc tomorrow do you think it'll be safe enough for fish in a few days? I gave another good dose of Ammo this morning so I'll see how it all looks tomorrow. I'm just gonna lightly stock it so I'm sure levels will go back down after anyway...

I never have done a fish less cycle. I always used seeded filter media and ran it for a day or two then added a few fish and monitored and waited a week or so and then add a few more fish and so on and so on. I also plant my tanks which helps. I havent lost any fish this way as of yet. I think you will be fine to add a few fish. Just keep monitoring and keep up with water changes.

Back
Top Bottom