Can i put any fish in with my male betta? maybe 2-3 females?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's generally how it works. :( that's why you do research ahead of time, and learn from mistakes. The only lfs around me is disgusting. And the two bettas he had were dead I think. The goldfish tank was so disgusting you could barely see the fish. The Earl May near me isn't even a fish store, they just have some fish for sale, but they are by far the best. The lady in charge of the fish is very knowledgable and helpful. She even gave us the number of the guy they got their bristlenose plecos from. They sell them for five bucks, but the guy could sell us one for only one dollar.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

i live in the uk. Where i am there are a few places the 1st time i ever went to get what would have been my 1st betta i walked into the fish place took one look and walked back out they were in tiny cups and they were dead it broke my heart. Then i went to looka at another place on sunday thats where i got midnight and dusk from they were kept in with the plantes with loads of room and looked very well midnight and dusk were the last two they had so i took them. Then my partner when to get the females for me last night without saying anything to me. One is red she is the one with the double tail, the other one has a pretty circual tail which the guy seems to thing with be a male (will try and get a pic and see what you think if thats ok?) and the other on is brownish/green.

Neon tetra's have very minimal bioload. The one inch per gallon rule does not apply in this case. I would say 6 neon tetra's equat to maybe 2 inches.

It's not the bioload for the neons, but rather the fact that they need more room. Tetras like to dart and swim fast. I wouldn't put tetras in anything less than a 20 long even if it were just 1, but then just one would defeat the fact that they are schooling fish, but I'm sure you get my point.

I'm seeing plakat males for sale as females alot lately so make sure you know to watch for those. I would never put a female and male together but to breed. They are known to be fine for a long time and one day snap and rip him to shreds. I can't imagine keeping tetras in anything less than a 20g..just doesn't seem right. A friend of mine has them in a 10g and they don't seem to have enough room for their natural behavoir. I have 3 male bettas and haven't had much luck trying tank mates. Shrimp don't last long..even if they pretend at first it's going to be fine. I like to keep a nerite snail and a few MTS with each of them but one of my boys will rip his face up on the shell trying to eat the snail! I've always thought it would be awesome to see a male with other fish though. I've kept females in a community tank and have a sorority of females but I'm scared to put a male with another fish. I guess kudos to you if you can make it work :)

ive had male betas in comunity tanks from 20-40gal they get alot bigger with huge fins giant halfmoon plakats are recomended for large tanks just because of the sheer size.. just make shure your water surface isnt to rough or has alot of current and they love it.. they some times make bubble nests if you have floating plants... but still limit is 1 per tank they get along with almost anything that wont eat it or isnt another male beta keeping 1 male and 2-3 females is an option in large tanks 25+ gal just make shure you are 100% certain it is a female not a plakat or in anything smaller then 40 long(more further apart) with out at least 6 females with the accidental 2 males they might...well kill each other

Back
Top Bottom