can i put these in my tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougargirl50

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was at the pet store yesterday and seen they had gotten some dwarf puffers in. Can I add one or two of these to my tank.
I have 5 platy and 5 zebra danios and one dalmatian mollies.
If I can add them is there anything special that they eat?

Thanks a bunch

Forget this post was just reading on puffers and read that they will eat other fish so I guess I will get that idea out of my head.

I have read some have kept dwarf puffers in community tanks with no bad effects. Some even commented about larger community fish picking on the dwarf puffers. Many comment on if the fish are well feed it minimized the negative interactions. The dwarfs I often see at Petsmart wouldn't make it long with some community fish. Overall I think a species specific tank is really the by far the best way to show these little guys off.

http://dwarfpuffers.com

well i dont know where you read that. ive tried that myself. they dont really eat the other fish but their fins. they destroyed my cory's fins, decimated my guppes. mine even didnt get along with my otos.

you can find out for yourself but it wont work. i can guarentee that

dwarf puffers are the only true FW puffer. all the others prefer brackish or SW.
puffers indeed are bad fin nippers. They also prefer live, meaty foods like black/blood worms. They are best suited to a species only tank.

I'm not going to take the chance and get one i like the fish that I already have in my tank.

I have platys and danios in my tank, what other fish can I put in that will get along with them. I need some change.

thanks

If you are looking to add some color to your tank, I would suggest putting in some swordtails and guppies. You can find some beautiful livebearers and they are not aggressive at all.

When adding the swordtails, be sure to add at least 3 at a time. They have a tendancy to pick on eachother and by adding 3, this will reduce the aggression levels.

If your sig is up to date, even without the fry you are looking at ~30" of adult fish. If the fry all happen to survive, you have almost 50". I wouldn't add anything else.

Back
Top Bottom