Can I save my baby fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
For the third time my African cichlids have babies. By the time I know about it there are two or three of them hiding in the rocks. Because of my many rocks and plastic plants I can't catch them. Even if I could, I have nowhere to put them. Is there a device available that the can trap them and keep them safe from the other fish till they get large enough to be mixed in?

For now they become fish food.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think there are breeder nets you can put them in to separate them from the rest of the tank.
I recently had babies swimming in the tank but only one survived and growing quickly.
Good luck trying to catch them though, they're fast!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use the netted breeder cubes for my tanks. It's like a cube frame with net all around it so they get the filtration and heat from the tank but don't become a fresh catch for the adults 0: If you have a tank that would be best for them to grow out in.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You could also get a tank divider. .. whether you buy one from the shop or a DIY on. . Not hard to make

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Feedback on my babies. Normally when I clean my aquarium I flatten out the gravel and hand wash the rocks of algae. About four times I had baby fish hiding in the rocks and four times they get eaten quickly. Well this time I decided to do only a water change, vacuum the gravel and leave the rest alone. Well four of my fish, two Auratus and two Electric Yellow have so far survived. The Auratus are about three quarter inch long and the Electric Yellows are about one inch. I also found this weekend new babies, they are too small for me to identify.

I don’t know if I’m only lucky or if leaving things alone during cleanup made the differences, but I thought I’d share.

Back
Top Bottom