can i use a undergravel filter with pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob112233

Aquarium Advice Regular
can i use a undergravel filter with pool filter sand. i got the undergravel filter plates with my tank but no power head im going to use pool filter sand in my tank so sould i put in the system or leave it out?

You cannot use sand and a UGF at the same time. Sand would fall through the slots and defeat the purpose. That said, almost no one uses UGF's anymore as they can cause problems over time. I would suggest either a powerfilter or canister.

Pool filter sand is also a bad choice. I has very sharp edges that can hurt fish. Playsand would be a much better idea.

JMO but, throw out the UGF like roger said it causes trouble in the long run and is too hard to fix or clean out, get a HOB filter or a canister which is much easier maintenance

good luck

Organic materials build up down there over time. This can really become an issue after a long usage. These organics can be released causing big problems if you ever try to remove it, or even suck to hard with a gravel vac.

Pool filter sand is a great choice for a sand substrate. I use it in all my tanks and it is smooth, not sharp. There are some places that sell the sharp sand, but you just have to look before you buy. I personally have never come across the sharp sand, but I have heard from someone else who has. It doesn't cloud as much (mine didn't cloud at all) compared to the play sand from what I've heard.

basically those organic materials are bad, thats why if you have deep gravel make sure to do deep cleans to keep these things from building up and you could do the same with the UGF there but the materials build up under the UGF where you could not reach unless you took it out (thats a pain in the butt because you have to take ornaments out and then try to put it back in and move all the gravel out of the way

a regular HOB or canister can be unplugged, opened up, rinsed, and put back ready to go

HTH :D :D

I agree with everyone else, ditch the ugf. The other options are better choices. How big is the tank?

thanks all the ugf came with the second hand 120 gal tank so not to worried about putting it in the closet. as for the sand my brother is getting it for me from out of town where i live its 40$ a 50 pund bag so i just just hope its not the sharp stuff

Must be pretty impressive stuff for that kind of lucre....I get my sand at about $7 for 90lbs, or $12 for 50lbs (for more specific stuff).

What brands are you guys buying? I bought some pool filter sand for $8.50/50 lb bag and it's a darker colored mix (about the same as PS from Home Depot). At first I wanted very light colored sand but the darker stuff is growing on me. I might have a move coming up soon and if so, I'm thinking of changing to a light colored sand. Any brands I should look for?

I don't know which brand that I bought, but you should easily be able to find light colored sand. Call around and ask for white pool filter sand.

Back
Top Bottom