can I use duct tape to close off vents on filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Marineland filter on my 10g tank which only has one Betta in it. I would like to slow down the flow rate on my filter to keep Buddy happy. Can I use duct tape to cover the vents on the in flow? would there be any problems with the chemicals used on the adhesive?

Currently I have about 6 zipties wrapped around it, it kinda works but looks like heck. I did file down the snipped ends to smooth them out.

Put a piece of filter foam over the intake tube. The thicker the foam covering the intake, the less the outflow will be. Granted, it will reduce your gph but in a betta tank, I would not be overly concerned.

You really should not restrict the inflow side of this kind of pump. It can cause damage over the long term. If you must then a foam sleeve is your best option for this as it doesn't restrict the flow that much. If the flow is bothering your fish then your best option is to modify the outflow side.

thank you for the replys. I will look at both options, the foam on inflow would be easiest, not sure how I would go about diverting the outflow. I'll think of something.

the only reason is I've read that Betta's like a tank with less flow.

Another way is to lift the intake tube up sightly, i think 1/4" would be plenty,idk if this works with your filter, but I did this on a aqua clear to slow down the flow for a salt water fuge, it would be the most hidden, if it works u could then file the lid slightly to make it sit down normal.

Benamayer said:
What about cutting off a blade or 2 on the impeller?

That'll throw it out of balance and become VERY noisy..don't do that lol

Ok ok ok relax!! Lol :cool: it was a question hence the question mark. Anyways, the only reason I asked about it was because I was reading another thread online about modding an AC110 for a refugium, and it worked out fine... Good to know not to do that tho!

It won't throw it off balance if u cut all of the blades evenly and noise isn't any more, but the reason I didn't do this is because by lifting the tube I could adjust the flow until I found the right spot, and if I ever need more flow I can push the tube back down instead of having to have a new impeller lol

This is what I did in my fry tank because my quiet flow 10 was creating too much current I thought. Go get some Fluval filter foam inserts, get the smallest box($3 tops at petsmart), and cut it to a size that will fit in the out flow, their foam is a loose foam so it won't really effect your gph but it will spread out and slow down its entry into the rest of the tank, it worked extremely well for me

Back
Top Bottom