Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
Best to avoid aluminum, especially at moderately acidic pH levels: Aluminum (Al) and water

I recommend egg crate which you should be able to find at Home Depot or Lowes in the lighting section. It is also known as lighting deflector if you ask a worker there.
From another one of your posts about metal in water!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
Wow! When I said I wouldn't use any metals in my aquarium I assumed we were talking about solid forms. Mainly ferrous metals that could oxidize in water. By the way is mercury inert?

It was before my time but lead was used in plumbing, canning and paint. While most lead paint poisonings where attributed to the ingestion of paint chips it's good to know it's really from dust. Don't forget to wipe the neck of the wine bottle after removing the (lead) foil wrapper and so on and so forth.

By the way putting a toxic lead weight in a bag, what would it hurt?
Lead is nearly insoluble in water (everything will dissolve into water to a certain extent) so it remains a solid in the water just as when you put it in. The ionized forms of the metals are what appear in water. Put something like sodium chloride into water and you have a solution of ions present. Put something like sodium metal into water and you have, well, a big boom.

Yes, mercury in it's pure form is relatively inert, however it is very rarely found in it's pure form. Stuff like mercury bonded to one of the halogens, such as mercuric chloride, mercuric bromide, mercuric iodide, on the other hand is extremely toxic and very deadly.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
From another one of your posts about metal in water!
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that aluminum was lead! How foolish of me being a chemical engineer and all! Maybe I should go back to school, or maybe I have a far better understanding of the material than others and know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would assume a lead weight is fine in an aquarium. Water changes are done so frequently it shouldnt matter. Allthough the Romans used lead pipes and it is thought to have sparked birth defects and such. But we are talking about long long periods of time. I wouldnt worry about the lead weights.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Again I'll ask whats the harm in putting the lead weight in a bag? While most of the lead weight is lead what is the eye made of? Could it be wire? If so what kind? Did the manufacture polish the weights? If so in what? Oil? Solvents? A fishing weight is almost disposable so why would it be made to be nontoxic in a enclosed environment?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
Lead weights, are in fact made of lead. I don't know who told you otherwise but they are mistaken.
After further research, it appears that what a "lead weight" is depends on where you live.

Lead will leech into the water & may be a problem <eg. lead solder in water supply is a problem, and it is banned here.>:
Lead - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
Not only that, but lead is an environmental pollutant, so even if you can keep the levels low with a pwc, I don't think it should be used on that basis alone. <This is the rational for switching to non-lead gas.>

At any rate, lead is banned in the EU & many other country, but not in the US: [APD] Plant weights, lead, zinc, etc.
So "lead weights" (plant weights & fishing weights) in those countries are not made of lead.

In Canada, lead fishing weights had been banned since 1997. < http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/flf-psp/index_e.cfm >
Also, you might want to follow the links in the gov't site above to read about the environmental problems (death to wildlife) caused by lead fishing weights before putting real lead weights into your aquarium.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As a biology major, I agree with bs6749. Lead weights in an aquarium of normal alkalinity are perfectly safe. I have studied the physiological effects of lead and know that it is considered toxic to humans and animals with various effects on neurological development among other things. That said, concentrations of dissolved lead in aquarium water will not reach toxic levels.

Concerns of lead poisoning are usually attributed to actual ingestion or inhalation of lead. When lead is eaten (as is the major concern with fishing weights and birds), the hydrochloric acid in an organisms stomach facilitates the dissolution and absorption of the lead; this can be toxic. When inhaled as dust or smoke (such as paint, burnt leaded gasoline, or smelted lead or solder) the high amounts of lead are put directly into the bloodstream and can be toxic.

Aquarium water cannot readily dissolve lead and the amounts of lead that do dissolve are not even close to toxic. Keep in mind that dissolved heavy metals are a normal component of the water in which these organisms evolved. So unless your fish are actually consuming the lead you put in your tank, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have to agree with those who don't see harm in lead. I use lead weights in my aquarium with no consequences. As for the plastic bag idea, yeah, I would be a lot more worried about any (unlikely, I might add) chemicals leaching from the plastic bag into the tank.

2.5g: Lou Reed (Betta) and Brian Cale, (Zebra Snail). Planted.
kellyinvancouver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corner, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com