Can i use pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a ten gallon with over 100 fry in it and a sponge filter. I'm having the problem with detritus again and I was wondering If I could put my pleco in there to eat the detritus and if he would not eat the fry? The fry is over a week old

Why not? Just because of tank size? It would just be temporary to clean up the detritus.

Definitely wouldn't recommend it. Plecos have huge bioloads and shouldn't be kept in a tank less than 20g, and I really don't think they eat poop either

I can't ever find otos anywhere. Petco never has em or lfs near me. I'll keep looking though.

I have a ten gallon with over 100 fry in it and a sponge filter. I'm having the problem with detritus again and I was wondering If I could put my pleco in there to eat the detritus and if he would not eat the fry? The fry is over a week old

A pleco will not eat detritus- it will however double the amount of waste your having to deal with. You need a bigger (or a 2nd) fry tank otherwise your going to start losing a lot of fry to poor water conditions.

I've got another ten gallon I could set up. Just Would have to get another filter.

Not sure, but maybe a snail or two would help? But I don't think anything besides water changes will help you.

Yup...Pleco is not a good idea. Plecos need bigger tanks, a few ottos will help with algae a little bit, but you should just suck up the debris with a syphon. No fish eats poop

It's not poop. It's detritus. And Im guessing its from over feeding fry or dead fry inside the gravel that never made it out.

It's not poop. It's detritus. And Im guessing its from over feeding fry or dead fry inside the gravel that never made it out.

Confused on what you mean by detritus. From its definition "It typically includes the bodies or fragments of dead organisms as well as fecal material." If you're talking about dead fish bodies then I wouldn't get a fish to eat them either. Either way plecos in ten gallons are not recomended

Detritus worms. Little tiny white worms all over tank. I've done a lot of research on them. I have hundreds that are smaller than the fry and a couple that are longer than fry. I can see a bunch of them get sucked up when I vacuum it.
Here's a pic of the small ones. They are on the glass. I don't see a long one right now

Attachments

• image-333044257.jpg
    image-333044257.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 67
Well after watching the fry for a while ive found that they are trying to eat the worms. some of the bigger fry, which are 3 or 4 days older do eat some of the very small detritus worms.

Back
Top Bottom