Can i use rocks from saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mojo3251

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I live in Florida right next to the bay and found this really nice rock that I want to put in my tank. Is this safe? And how do I make "aquarium safe"?

Thanks y'all!

Making a rock "safe" can't really happen so to speak from my knowledge. If it just needs to be cleaned from parasites or chemicals then you can. What kind of rock is it? Can you upload a picture? Most coral reef type of rocks will raise the ph in your water and you can test it by putting a drop of vinegar on it. If it bubbles then you know it will raise the ph.

To clean it you can boil some really hot hot water and pour over it while cleaning with a brush to get anything off that may be on it.

I can't get a pic.. sorry! But it's not coral. It's a weird rock, every time you rub it real hard little particles come off. But it's not sand. I already scrubbed it real good and now I'm boiling it.

You.need to be careful boiling rocks especially rocks that have a lot of holes in them. They can blow up and make a mess in your kitchen

Back
Top Bottom