Can I use this to start a fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've found it in B&Q, so the question is as in the title :)
If yes, any ideas of how much should I use?

Attachments

• Amoniak1.jpg
    Amoniak1.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Amoniak2.jpg
    Amoniak2.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 82
Not a good idea. The issue will be the sulphate (sulfur) aspect of this product. Im not chemist, but i believe in water the sulphate combines with h20 to create sulfuric acid which is extremely acidic. If you are looking for an exact explanation, i would ask aqua chem.

Shame :(
Guess I need to look further. I thought that I could just do a big water change towards the end of cycle, but sulphur might indeed be a big issue :/

Anyone from UK has any ideas what to use then?

fishnewbe420 said:
Can u not get ahold of ammonia in a bottle?

I'm trying, but believe me, it's hard :D As for now I've found this and some bottled stuff on eBay. But it's Christmas so I don't know how the post will work :/
Any ideas where else to look?

If you're bound and determined to use ammonia they sell bottles at the store just make sure it doesn't have any scents(lemon,orange) added. I find it hard to believe in the UK geesh it's in the floor cleaner isle.

If all else fails dump in some fish food

Hmmm. This is an interesting idea.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Sulphate (sulfate to us yankees) is actually a really poor base, so I would doubt that it would affect pH at all. Remember that sulfate is the anion of both Epsom salt (MgSO4) and the dry fert that we use to directly administer potassium (K2SO4), and both are used already in aquariums. I doubt sulfate will be an issue.

Recall that sulfuric acid cannot form in water as it is a strong acid. Hydrogen sulfate (HSO4-) will not form in appreciable amounts near neutral pH.

Honestly, I would say that you'll probably be fine. My only concerns is measuring out 4 ppm. You'll want a dry scale so you can measure out the right amount. If you want to take that path, I would be more than happy to help with the math.

Reactions: jlk
aqua_chem said:
Hmmm. This is an interesting idea.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Sulphate (sulfate to us yankees) is actually a really poor base, so I would doubt that it would affect pH at all. Remember that sulfate is the anion of both Epsom salt (MgSO4) and the dry fert that we use to directly administer potassium (K2SO4), and both are used already in aquariums. I doubt sulfate will be an issue.

Recall that sulfuric acid cannot form in water as it is a strong acid. Hydrogen sulfate (HSO4-) will not form in appreciable amount neat neutral pH.

Honestly, I would say that you'll probably be fine. My only concerns is measuring out 4 ppm. You'll want a dry scale so you can measure out the right amount. If you want to take that path, I would be more than happy to help with the math.

Are you part genius???? Haha what he said ^^^^

Running some quick numbers... I don't think sulfate will change pH at all, especially in a buffered system.

Thank you Aquachem for the correct information!! I am curious if the amount of sulfur in this product would affect cycling in any fashion?

It's Christmas now so there isn't too much time to look for the ammonia (at least for me :D), but I'll do another round through the shops Monday or Tuesday. If I won't find the one In the bottle, I'll get the one I've found already. Just for the sake of experiment, if not for anything else (as long as it won't dissolve the seal in the tank!)

Ps.
England IS weird, and I'm saying that because I'm from Poland :)

senemedar said:
It's Christmas now so there isn't too much time to look for the ammonia (at least for me :D), but I'll do another round through the shops Monday or Tuesday. If I won't find the one In the bottle, I'll get the one I've found already. Just for the sake of experiment, if not for anything else (as long as it won't dissolve the seal in the tank!)

Ps.
England IS weird, and I'm saying that because I'm from Poland :)

That last part sounded borderline offensive lol!

Scouser said:
That last part sounded borderline offensive lol!

Ouch!! I didn't mean to :D
Believe me it was positive-weird, not negative-weird. It's the place I call home now and if it was for the latter I'd be back in Poland in no-time...
I really love England :)

senemedar said:
Ouch!! I didn't mean to :D
Believe me it was positive-weird, not negative-weird. It's the place I call home now and if it was for the latter I'd be back in Poland in no-time...
I really love England :)

Haha don't worry, no worries :

Ha!
In a (un?)expected turn of events my wife is giving a doubt to a whole idea of cycling a new tank in order to just move the old fishes to it.
So she asks, if I couldn't just move all the old filters and water to a new tank (no gravel, I already have the new one in) with the fishes and everything. I did that already and it did work once, but this time the tank is slightly bigger...
The idea is rather appealing, so now the question arise-- how to do this as much stress-free for my little friends-- any ideas?

As long as you move the old filter and are not adding any extra fish. U should be fine most of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter. You might get like a little mini cycle but you should be fine. You'll just have to test your water and keep an eye on things

Back
Top Bottom