Can kuhli loaches be kept with tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmalek321

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon long tank with 5 tiger barbs. I've been reading a lot and it seems that my best option for more tank mates would just be more barbs. I am planning on adding some green tiger barbs soon.

My question is if anyone has ever kept tiger barbs with kuhli loaches. I would really like to add 3 kuhli loaches and figured they may not be bothered since my tank has plenty of hiding space and substrate but am worried about the barbs bothering them. Anyone have any experience with tiger barbs and kuhli loaches?

First, I would do more than 3 kuhlis; at least 5 or 6, as they like to be in groups, and you'll see them more often during the day if they feel comfortable.
I've never kept tiger barbs with kuhlis, but I have kept various other barbs with kuhlis. Generally, as the barbs are more mid-level fish, and the kuhlis stay on the bottom for the most part, there isn't much interaction between the two species. When they do cross paths, I haven't seen any aggression from the barbs. They seem to ignore the kuhlis.

Thanks for the response! I checked aqadvisor and it said I'd still be at a safe capacity having 10 tigers and 5-6 kuhlis so I'll plan to do that. Do you think it would be safer to introduce the kuhlis or new tigers first? My tiger barbs are very much in eachothers business all the time so I was hoping that having more tigers in the tank should keep them distracted from the kuhlis. Also I have regular/medium sized gravel, in other words its not very fine substrate, will that still be fine for the kuhlis?

My first choice would be to introduce them all together, right before lights out. Otherwise, I would put the kuhlis in first, if you're only going to do one species at a time.

How did this end up going? I actually have an empty 60g tank and was thinking about a school of about 20 tiger barbs with 10 or so kuhli loaches.

Back
Top Bottom