Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Can my fishies see me through the glass?

I have been hotly debating with the hubby on this one.... can they see us? he believes/was told that the fish can't see past the glass, but i've seen fish spooked by quick movements. understood, this was either coincidence or i'm right. I'd like to think the latter.

I know that fish will follow a finger when it is placed directly onto the glass, but can they see a waving hand beyond when it's not in contact?

obviously no one can really know, unless they have a talking fish, so let me know what y'all think.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

They see you. The anecdotal proof is that when I get anywhere within 3 feet of my tanks they all head to the front/surface begging for food.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The can certainly visually perceive beyond the glass. How well they actually see and understand what they see depends on the species.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have some fish as soon as i get with in a couple feet all head to the side where they get feed. others as soon as i get close they dart away. they can see you and they do watch you.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes they can see you regardless if my lights are on or off in the room

I get to close to the tank they fly up like its feeding time
Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whats even better is they sense you before they see you.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
my fish definately see me, sometimes when I enter the room 10 feet away, they act like they want to get fed.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I have actually tested this by walking from one end of the tank to the other and my angelfish always followed me back and forth....I am convinced they saw me and what's more...they knew it was me and wouldn't perform this way for anyone else, I am the one with the food, so they recognized me vs the kids....
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

^^^ very true, except they are showing this attention to my 3yo daughter too now, however she seems to feed them better then I do, no mess no evidence, they eat it quick.

I gotta catch her in the act though.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl65 View Post
I have actually tested this by walking from one end of the tank to the other and my angelfish always followed me back and forth....I am convinced they saw me and what's more...they knew it was me and wouldn't perform this way for anyone else, I am the one with the food, so they recognized me vs the kids....
This is exactly how my angelfish acts. Whenever I get home from work he is there staring at me, moving his tail back and forth like he's wagging his tail or something. He will not put on the same show whenever the wifey comes home.

Even if I walk up to the tank, my clown loach and upside down catfish dart into the java moss. My guppies and angelfish all come up to the glass and wait to be fed. When I walk the length of the tank the angelfish is always right beside me, eying me up the whole time.

I also think they can see out of the water (through the top). When I had my guppy fry problem I would net some fry and feed them to the angelfish. As soon as my net was above the 30g tank, my angel would start thrashing back and forth, knowing that he was about to get a tasty snack. I tested this and brought the net up from his blind side and as soon as it was above him he started blowing his kisses at the surface, waiting for something to fall. I'd say without a doubt fish can see out of the tank... Both out the glass, and through the water surface.

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com