can my shrimp get out???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two amanos and I'm wondering if theyd be able to climb up my filter tube or airline tubing for my air stone and escape???

tarpon said:
I have two amanos and I'm wondering if theyd be able to climb up my filter tube or airline tubing for my air stone and escape???

I believe they can .... And sometimes do but they should be ok as long as u get your parameters in check ;)

Aww crap...I've been like really paranoid about them getting out and constantly check if they're both there.

And my parameters are fine but what does that have to do with them getting out??

And also...does anyone know if shrimp are sensitive to prime bc I dosed with it and then they started swimming all crazy

They will not leave the water IMO. My RCS never leave the water. I see them swimming along the surface of the water all the time, but their legs won't support the weight of their body on land.

Oh okay. Well the guy at the lfs said that amanos can live 3 days on land...but yah they probly wouldn't have the strength for a vertical climb up a slick tube with their spindly legs

I believe I've heard they will try and get out if the parameters are wack but I I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard snails get out too and I worry about mine... But there are cases when fish jump out as well ... It shouldn't be a problem :)

Before I had a cover on my tank I had like 5 amanos jump out of my tank (my water levels were all in check). And from my experience they can walk/run on land (I would always find them on the other side of my room (10 feet or so from the tank). Now that I have covered my tank I have not had a problem. Just my $0.01

I've found several RCS dried out in the carpet beside my tanks... I'm thinking they do this when they feel threatened, which they had good reason to in my tanks.

You can buy the plastic mesh used for cross stitching (very cheap) and trim it to go around your cords/tubes. Most places call it plastic canvas. That's what I use to cover holes that you have to trim out of the hoods for filters, cords, tubes etc.

DragonFish71 said:
You can buy the plastic mesh used for cross stitching (very cheap) and trim it to go around your cords/tubes. Most places call it plastic canvas. That's what I use to cover holes that you have to trim out of the hoods for filters, cords, tubes etc.

How do you attach it to the hood?

I have an aqueon glass hood, and it came with an insert to get your filter and all super snug. But I've only had one or two shrimp jumpers, but it was when I first started and wasn't very informed about paremeters

Ohhh. Im just gonna Cut some pretty thick plastic off the bottom of an old modeling clay box...and wash it real good and cut it to fit. And try that out.

Does that sound good? I'm gonna have the side that didn't touch the clay facing down

Here's the finished product.
Gives me piece of mind.
I can probably get hatchetfish now too :D

Oops here

There's about a centimeter opening on each side but it should be good I think

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110731_122201.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110731_122201.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 87
I thought I had heard of them getting out... Lol hope mine don't... I have ghost shrimp. I'll never find them. Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom