Can prime affect ghost shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been doing water changes 25% twice a week in my 16 gallon tank and adding a couple of drops per gallon.

Last week I did a 50 %water change and I think I might have put more prime then I need it. My platys are doing fine but the my shrimp are acting weird. Did the prime really affect them?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It shouldn't be an issue. I don't even measure the prime I put in, just eyeball it, and my cherry shrimp are breeding like rabbits

It could be a trace amount of copper in your water supply. I know I had a small amount in mine and I would see one dead shrimp after water changes once in a while.

Google your towns water quality reports. Mine was 0.11ppm copper. There is also a small amount of lead in mine.

Just curious, why are you doing 50% a week?
Are you having issues with water quality that necessitates such big changes?

Personally, I think it may be from the amount of water you have changed.
not all critters enjoy huge water changes.

Are you actually testing the water prior to doing the changes and doing them because they are needed or are you just doing them because that's what somebody told you to do?

In actuality one or two volitans with an eel or two would be fine. Lionfish do not require the swimming room some other fish require and I doubt they would reach full size in there anyway. You may have to rehouse them after a couple of years.
It is more a challenge of maintaining the water quality when they get bigger...
BUT lions and eels being major carnivores works in your favor as you can easily get away with only feeding 1-2 times a week. ;)

oops....wrong thread :oops:

Just curious, why are you doing 50% a week?
Are you having issues with water quality that necessitates such big changes?

Personally, I think it may be from the amount of water you have changed.
not all critters enjoy huge water changes.

Are you actually testing the water prior to doing the changes and doing them because they are needed or are you just doing them because that's what somebody told you to do?

Most people do 50% water changes in fresh water tanks. It's very very rare to encounter a species that doesn't like regular large water changes assuming the incoming water has similar pH and temperature as the tank water. Pretty much the only normally kept freshwater fish in that category are a select few wild caught species.

Most people do 50% water changes in fresh water tanks. It's very very rare to encounter a species that doesn't like regular large water changes assuming the incoming water has similar pH and temperature as the tank water. Pretty much the only normally kept freshwater fish in that category are a select few wild caught species.

I just wonder if folks go by actual water quality and the health of the fish or are just blindly following someone's rhetoric.
I have noticed here that at times if a person does not blindly follow the "advice" offered, they are then the subject of a virtual stoning.
I know, I still have the lumps and bruises.;)

Are neons one of those? Wild caught species? I noticed my rescue neons hate water changes.

Sent from my iPhone

I would venture a guess that 99% of the neon tetras you see are farm bred and not wild.

Double check the ph of the water you use for changes. Tetras often don't like too much variation in ph.

Are neons one of those? Wild caught species? I noticed my rescue neons hate water changes.

Sent from my iPhone

If they aren't used to regular water changes then slowly work your way up from a smaller %. Fish will freak out from lowering water levels and a big huge siphon in there home if they aren't used to them. Fish will act the same way after a large rearranging of the tank.

I usually do 25% weekly. The only reason I did a 50% it is because I was away for two weeks. And I had someone feeding them once a day.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom