Can small, daily water changes replace large weekly ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
Question without backstory: Would 5% daily water changes be adequate in giving them fresh water when nitrates aren't an issue? What if I did a big change every two weeks or so in addition to that?

I have to admit, I've been lazy with my water changes. I always mean to do them once a week but it usually ends up being pushed back. Every 10-14 days is my average, though sometimes they do happen every week. Once during a very busy month I went 3 whole weeks without one and nitrates got up to 30ppm, so still, not absolutely terrible. But my pH is dropping lower than I'd like it, and I worry about not putting in fresh water often enough. My tank is 56 gallons and planted.

The reason I dread them so much is just how long it takes. I can only lift about 3 gallons at a time and so it takes 5 buckets to the bathroom and then 5 buckets back, 10 total, to just get to 25%, I often do more than that, and it makes me tired. (And now I sound whiny!)

If I did one bucket a day, I don't have to unplug everything because the heater is below that level...eliminating the hassle of having to time it right to fill up the back of the filters and then plug them in, too. This is about 5%. Is this the same as doing one big one every week? I understand that the new water I put in yesterday now has nitrates in it, so 5% 7 times is not the same as 35% one time. But is it equal to say, 20% one time? Does that make sense?

Water Changes

Hello ally...

Nothing can replace large, frequent water changes. If someone tells you there's such a thing, they're uninformed (pulling your leg). Change half the tank water in very small tanks every 2 to 3 days. Medium tanks up to 30 gallons, change half every week. The larger tanks can go 2 weeks between 50 percent changes.

You have to get out the gear for a water change, right? Well, make it worth the effort and change the water. Don't join the "water change slackers' club". Your fish will appreciate your effort.

B

Doing a big water change every 2 weeks isn't that bad of a routine. There's not some magical hard and fast rule to it. If your nitrates aren't going crazy and your pH isn't crashing then it's not a big deal.

lol..

the more this guy posts "B" the more I realize he has not a clue about this hobby or aquatic life.

2 words for you, walstad tanks.

So much depends on how the tank is setup which will dictate your water change needs if any are even required. outside of this forum and probably within this forum many hobbyist go 2-6 months if not more with zero water change.

Do lakes drain 50% of their water and refil with fresh?! no, they dont. why? BALANCE / ECOSYSTEM. if you achieve the right setup it is pretty much self sustaining.

to answer your question, daily changes are not equiv. the reason is this, doing a 5% wc then waiting lets say 24 hours would then mix the new with the old. thus when your changing the next 5% you are removing some of the new your put in the day before.

with a 50% your removing all old in 1 shot, then refil with fresh new.

Hello ally...

Nothing can replace large, frequent water changes. If someone tells you there's such a thing, they're uninformed (pulling your leg). Change half the tank water in very small tanks every 2 to 3 days. Medium tanks up to 30 gallons, change half every week. The larger tanks can go 2 weeks between 50 percent changes.

You have to get out the gear for a water change, right? Well, make it worth the effort and change the water. Don't join the "water change slackers' club". Your fish will appreciate your effort.

B

That sounds a bit drastic.
Let your fish and water quality dictate how big/frequently you do changes, although at least 20% bi-weekly should be adhered to.
doing 50% changes that often could also cause a lot of stress for some fish.

The guy who created Miracle Mud for saltwater refugiums apparently does 5 gallons a day on 200+ gallon reef systems with favorable results.

Ideally the ultimate goal would be to have such a complete micro-ecosystem developed so water changes were not needed. ;)

Have you looked into the Python or Aqueon water changers that you hook up to your sink? They make water changes super easy and simple, and they save your back from having to haul the buckets of water when trying to do water changes on a larger tank. Just hook it up to your faucet, drain out what you want, add dechlorinator for the full tank volume, match temps between the tank and the faucet water, then swap the siphon for the other direction to add water back in. I change around 60 gallons of water weekly between all my tanks this way.

Can small, daily water changes replace large weekly ones?

it can yes
but why ?
it's just more work....................................weekly changes are enough no need to over do it

Have you looked into the Python or Aqueon water changers that you hook up to your sink? They make water changes super easy and simple, and they save your back from having to haul the buckets of water when trying to do water changes on a larger tank. Just hook it up to your faucet, drain out what you want, add dechlorinator for the full tank volume, match temps between the tank and the faucet water, then swap the siphon for the other direction to add water back in. I change around 60 gallons of water weekly between all my tanks this way.

only works if your tap water is ok to use.
my tap comes out at +30ppm of nitrate, so for me using tap water would be counter-productive as I would be adding the main component I want to remove.

my tap comes out at +30ppm of nitrate, so for me using tap water would be counter-productive as I would be adding the main component I want to remove.

That's partially true in that you wouldn't want to use it for putting water back in, but the water changer is still a back saver for removing water. For refilling, you can put the water you use to refill in a food grade plastic bin or trash can and hook up a submersible pump to pump it into the tank. Far easier than the bucket brigade!

+1 a few years ago I had 1 ppm Ammonia and 5-10 ppm Nitrate straight out of the tap. I did weekly 25-35% WCs. If I did bigger ones it would register ammonia on that day and a trace of nitrite on the next day.
Monitoring nitrates can be helpful in determining the appropriate amount of a WC for your particular tanks. However, if there are plants present, they might consume some of the nitrates.

Large, Frequent Water Changes

Hello again...

Large, frequent water changes are what keeps the fish at their healthiest. The tank is an unflushed toilet. If you don't believe it, stir up the bottom material. That's undissolved plant and fish waste. When it does dissolve, it produces ammonia and nitrite that put stress on this fish. The stress weakens their immune system and they get sick.

The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better conditions for the fish. This isn't the only reason for larger water changes. Trace elements and minerals are replaced to maintain a stable water chemistry.

I'm surprised one of the moderators didn't have my back on this one. Alas, sometimes I expect too much!

B

I'm surprised one of the moderators didn't have my back on this one. Alas, sometimes I expect too much!

B

curious, why do you feel the need to be supported by a moderator, because people don't agree with you?????

ever consider you may not be 100% correct. ;)

if it has been working for you, great, but it may not work for everyone and 50% weekly simply is not needed.

Water changes really depend on tank parameters as to how much you need. Assuming nitrates aren't a problem at all then you can do 5% daily water changes. However, in fresh water the majority of water changes are because of nitrate production.

Let's assume you produce 15ppm nitrates per week.
At 15ppm nitrate each water change wouldn't even remove 1ppm of nitrate.
At this rate doing 5% daily changes you're going to sit at around 50ppm nitrate without any larger water changes.

You can do the smaller water changes but you have to allow for rising water parameters.

Another option, is to get more buckets. I had 5 5g buckets on standby for water change day on my 55g.

Hello again...

Large, frequent water changes are what keeps the fish at their healthiest. The tank is an unflushed toilet. If you don't believe it, stir up the bottom material. That's undissolved plant and fish waste. When it does dissolve, it produces ammonia and nitrite that put stress on this fish. The stress weakens their immune system and they get sick.

The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better conditions for the fish. This isn't the only reason for larger water changes. Trace elements and minerals are replaced to maintain a stable water chemistry.

B

I agree 100% with this.

I'm coming at this from a saltwater viewpoint. It's standard to do a weekly 10% water change on salty tanks for no reason other than replenishment of minerals. Large tanks usually go with 10% every other week. On top of that saltwater fish are far far more sensitive than fresh water fish and corals right along with it.

As long as nitrate is under control and you do some water changes for replenishment of trace minerals / removal of other undesirables, it doesn't necessarily necessitate regular huge water changes.

However, like I said before, large water changes don't ever hurt except in certain extreme circumstances. And 9 times out of 10 regular large water changes could have prevented problems.

Thank you all for your input, I'm taking everything into account, and by all means continue! There's something to say about this hobby that so many people have such different methods.

Thank you all for your input, I'm taking everything into account, and by all means continue! There's something to say about this hobby that so many people have such different methods.

Absolutely. Many people have different ways and a lot of those methods work. It's just finding what's best for you.

Hi, I drain 50% water out of my tank with a hose that goes out to the garden. I have a 75 litre bucket which I fill then put in a bilge pump ( small one they use to get water out of boats) and pump the water into the tank. Makes life a lot easier and no back breaking bucket lugging!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My opinion/expeience

Small daily water changes may be more beneficial for reasons of stability. If the water you are adding is of suitable quality, I.e. no ammonia, nitrite etc. This is for reasons of stability. A large 50% water change alters the environment hugely, so a fish that has gradually become accustomed to the chemical compostion of its surroundings suddenly has to cope with a huge change, putting instant pressure on its physiological processes. Smaller, more regular water changes, make these changes more gradual and therefore more easily dealt with physiologically. However, most fish are extremely adaptable in these situations, which is why the 50% club rarely have problems, although we have all read posts where folk have lost fish after a water change. Large water changes and the subsequent sudden inbalance may effect the efficiency of biological filtration also, resulting in temporary gliches in the so-called cycle.

Differing opinions within the hobby about the toxicity of different parameters will always dictate personal preferences, but at the most basic, water changes are to remove nitrate and phosphate. At normal aquarium levels, these will cause little problem to most fish, but will promote the growth of unwanted algae.

Comparing 50% water changes in a large natural lake with an aquarium is largely unhelpful. Yes, no one does that to a lake, because a lake doesn't need it. It is a dynamic open system where resulting waste products are constantly cycled. An aquarium is a closed system, where the end products of nitrification and decomposition - eg nitrate and phosphate - have to be physically or chemically removed.

Water changes in marine environments are not necessarily.needed. depleted minerals.can be fairly easily replaced and natural.filtration via live rock and its associated organisms appears to be efficient in minimising nitrate and phosphate is easily controlled wth resins.

Mathematically speaking, doing 5% per day for a week will have changed out 30% of the old water you started the week with, rather than 35% due to "compounding." Still good, I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom