Can some one I.D. this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcsport

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up a few of these just the other day. Place I got them had no idea what they are and sold them to me for $1.19 a piece. They are very active and very nicely colored with yellow, purple and red.
img_837540_0_1d03105a37cda6daa7a3355f5f032011.jpg

And just a shot of my 5" sae "Peter" as my son calls him. He likes to have his pict. taken.
img_837540_1_b4e52e7304c2b1fda29447db917ce2fb.jpg
[/img]

Your mystery fish look like what are called "Angel Rams". They are Gold Rams (I think) that are bred to look like that (who knows how though...).... They are Dwarf Cichlids, so watch for aggression.

Your SAE is actually a CAE (Chinese Algae Eater). They can get aggressive when they get older....

:)

I've seen those called angel rams and balloon rams.

That's no SAE, as was said. That's known as a worthless, better off in the sewer, chinese algae eater (as if there were any other kind).

It is a CAE which is certainly not worthless. It can get large and very aggressive and is not for community tanks. How big is your CAE? Mine is 8" and is not at all aggressive. Mind you he is housed with african cichlids.

Those fish are cool looking.

Yeah, definitely not an SAE. Check out my pictures here. I just took a picture of my SAE and then the CAE I gave to my friend. He's 7" or so long and he likes to be left alone, hiding out in his cave most of the time.

Edited by An t-iasg to fix picture link

The cae is 5" long and I've had him a little over 2 years. He is very kind to all the fish. He will let the cories lay on top of him and eat right beside him. Most of the time he sits in his cave watching for me to walk by and feed him. One funny thing about the cea the only time he will stick to the side of the aquarium is if I'm running late feeding. :lol:

I think all algae eaters get lazy and spoiled with store bought food. My Ottos and SAE eat food I feed them only. The SAE eats right off the surface of the water.

my SAE's dont appear to eat algae anymore either, but i dont have a big problem with it. My CAE rasps hard on my amazon sword and create holes. He actually still eats algae, but likes to munch on the occasional algae disk.

Back
Top Bottom