Can Someone Explain this Product to Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Feeding only what your fish will eat will help to reduce the amount of nitrates added in your tank.

Live plants will absorb nitrates, some better than others.

It says it works in freshwater tanks. I wasn't really set on using anything like this. I was just curious how this is any different from buying bioballs to allow bacteria to grow on or having a biowheel. Is it really something additional or just a way to sell more stuff?

More surface area = more room for bacteria = more bacteria. The porous nature of the media you gave the link to allows more bacteria to live in the tank...bacteria that would remove nitrates.

If you're not overfeeding and doing regular PWC s, you shouldn't have any problems with nitrates. If my nitrates are at 40 or below in my FW tanks, I leave it alone. I agree with bs6749. If you're concerned about nitrate build-up, throw some plants in there.

It's not just about providing more surface area for bacteria to grow on. It contains zeolites, which are microporous minerals with active positive surface charge and ion exchange properties. Since nitrates are negatively charged ions, they are attracted to the zeolites, and adsorb onto them, thus being taken out of the water.

Nitrates are harmful to many saltwater corals, inverts and fish, and also cause algae growth in both fresh and especially saltwater. The product is probably geared more towards SW keepers than FW, although both can benefit. Make no mistake, while NO3 is markedly less toxic to aquaria than No2 or NH3, it is still toxic.

Gotcha. That makes some sense. I wonder if you could put a positively charged electro magnet on the outside of the canister filter. Then when you disconnect the filter, you turn off the magnet. There go your negatively charged nitrates.

Then again, I got a D+ in college chemistry. Probably wouldn't work.

MyCatsDrool said:
Nitrates are harmful to many saltwater corals, inverts and fish, and also cause algae growth in both fresh and especially saltwater. The product is probably geared more towards SW keepers than FW, although both can benefit. Make no mistake, while NO3 is markedly less toxic to aquaria than No2 or NH3, it is still toxic.

Zeolites don't work that well in saltwater due to the high electroconductivity of saltwater, so I am surprised that they are marketing it for that purpose.

NO3 is quite toxic to fry, so FW breeders would definitely want to control it.

theotheragentm said:
Gotcha. That makes some sense. I wonder if you could put a positively charged electro magnet on the outside of the canister filter. Then when you disconnect the filter, you turn off the magnet. There go your negatively charged nitrates.

Unfortunately, not quite the same kind of charge, or of the same magnitude, so wouldn't work.

Reefmonkey said:
theotheragentm said:

Unfortunately, not quite the same kind of charge, or of the same magnitude, so wouldn't work.

Like I said, D+. :D

Reefmonkey said:
MyCatsDrool said:

Zeolites don't work that well in saltwater due to the high electroconductivity of saltwater, so I am surprised that they are marketing it for that purpose.

NO3 is quite toxic to fry, so FW breeders would definitely want to control it.

There is actually a new school of reef keeping based entirely on zeolith and zeolite..

Check out UltraLith, and ZeoVit. Here is a good link: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i3/zeovit/Zeovit_system/zeovit.htm

Back
Top Bottom