Can someone help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick~C

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there! My name is Nick and I live in Ontario Canada. I am 17 and used to always have a big 35 gal aquarium when I was younger, before my parents split up. I have always had lots of different pets (birds always being my main ones, I breed small parrots right now, although they aren't really breeding, hahahaha) and love just about everything. I was wanting to get a breeding pair of bettas. I have always liked bettas but have only had ones from pet stores, back when I was younger. I have seen pictures though of people who breed them and they have huge amazingly full fins and are larger. They are very nice to look at. I was wondering if there was anyone who could help me get started with just a single pair, and how much it would cost me. I have seen them on some sites for over $100 each!! Those pet store fish are 3 bucks, hahahaha. I don't have the money to buy any of those top quality ones, but I would really like a decent pair. I don't plan on selling babies or showing or anything, I just want a real good pair that I can have in my room to watch, and see the babies. This looks like a real neat forum, I'm happy to be here. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Nick

Hey Nick!
I believe that you could probably make top quality Bettas from your average pet store fish! All you have to do is keep breeding them over and over! 8)

How can you get better quality young from poor quality parents? Are they just ratty looking from being in the pet store?

Nick

bettas are normally shipped in medicated water in a small cup. Not ideal conditions for any fish. Bettas need heat as well which will bring their colors out and prefer filtration. We normally look through what the lfs has and then pick the one that appeals the most to us. So far with the 2 we have, no disappointments. Just remember that you should not put 2males in a tank together.

Almost forgot....Welcome to AA.......... :D

BTW....where in Ontario are you?

[center:c842b1dd7c] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Nick~C! :n00b: [/center:c842b1dd7c]

I would not breed bettas from the LFS. Most of those are not of top quality and their genetics may be poor. When Christmasfish comes back from vacation, she is a good one to ask about betta breeding--her 8 year old daughter breeds top quality bettas.

Breeding bettas is not an easy thing to do. You can't leave the male and the female in the tank together, but you put them together for spawning and when the eggs are in the nest you remove the female. Then you have to remove the babies to other containers, so it is a lot of work.

If this is what you want to do then no problem, there are definitely people on this site who can help you every step of the way. Christmasfish is definitely the one to ask, and she will be happy to help out, I'm sure.

If you just want to keep a nice pair of fish and watch them bond and breed and subsequently raise wee fishies, then there are other fish that can be kept as pairs together in the tank you have.

I am just going to be using a small betta tank that's why I want bettas. Is there anyone who could send me a pair? I really would like to get a nice pair of bettas, I'm going betta crazy lately, its all I look at on the computer, hahaha. Please let me know if you can help me get started. Thank you so much!

Nick

Nick, you might want to think things over more. If you don't have the money to pay for getting your own bettas, then you may not have enough money to supply the items needed to keep them healthy. Are you going to beg for someone to send you another fishtank, light, gravel, filter, heater when your male betta bites the fins off of your female and shes dying and you realize that you can't keep two bettas in the same tank indefinately?

Start with a single pet-store betta, and see how you like it. Go to about 5 local LFS and just check every single cup for your favorite looking betta. I guarantee you will find one that appeals to you.

Hey,
Can anybody give me his or her option on what other type of lighting that is out there?
I am using E-Z DOUBLE BALLAST FOR TWO T8 OR TWO T12 FLUORESCENT LAMPS, and about every year or so one of the end caps burns out. Does any body recommend any type of light fixtures out there that are reasonable in price?

And where will you put all the betta babies when they can no longer stay together. The places where I've seen Bettas being bred have rows and rows of jars(prob near 100)

Kim 8O

I found a top quality betta at my pet store, you just have to look hard.

Hey nick iam in Ontario, and breed show quality splendens. And if I don't have what u are looking for I know of others in Ont. Right now I have Halfmoons, crowns and plakats. Where in Ont are you?

If you want quality bettas NEVER breed pet store fish! You wont get anywhere. It would take years and years of culling and selctive breeding to even get close to breeding out the veil tail.

If you want to get serious about breeding show bettas then pm or e-mail me and I can help set you up.

ashley

I am in a small town called Tweed, 2 hrs east of Toronto. I would like to get serious but I only want a single pair. They have lots of babies so I'm sure one pair would be more than enough. I have had male bettas in the past and I really liked them. I would really love to get started with a good pair. I just can't afford those $100 a piece fish, lol. I never ever knew they could be worth so much. I am new here and not sure about the pm or anything, so you can send me one if you would like. Thank you so much for replying, and thank you to everyone else who replied as well.

Nick

Find the nicest most pertyest pair of bettas you can at any pet store and set up a nice 10 gal tank or bigger. Make sure there are lots of hiding spots for th female because the male will kill her if she can't hide or if he feels over crowded. It's also good to keep your tank wormer than normal this should help with breeding!

If u want to breed bettas make sure u know what ur getting into. Bettas have between 80 and 100 babies. Males and females also have trouble getting along.Go to
www.bettatalk.com--------this is a great website that explains breeding bettas and sells them too

Back
Top Bottom