Can someone help a beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys so it has been a couple of years since I took down my 20 G tank. I'm starting It up again and I'm looking for advice. I'm trying smothering different this time and that is using sand in freshwater setup. I just set it up and it is a little cloudy. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406675441.676164.jpg

These are the chemicals I put in it. Prime conditioner, topfin water clarifier, and topfin bacteria supplement. So what do you guys think? Let the water run for a day or two and see what happens?

Looks good! Get some liquid ammonia and an API master kit and get your fishless cycle going, takes about 4 weeks but you will avoid a thread titled "help, my fish are swimming in circles or gulping at the surface, or i woke up and half were dead, etc"

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I took a long shot with this app but I'm happy I did! Everyone was so helpful and now I'm supper excited to start! Long weekend project! Thank you everyone!

Ps. Be nice peeps ☺️??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So is there any reason why the fish swim up against the glass?

4 Molly's swimming into glass at the corner. Any suggestions why. Also shutting up to the top of the water.

It takes weeks to properly cycle, not days. Research the nitrogen cycle for freshwater aquariums.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plastic plants can snag and tear delicate fins, which has happened to my betta. Silk plants are safe, as are live ones. (y)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One if my Molly's died today. My nitrate is between 1-3 any advice?

What are your readings for ammonia and nitrite? Is your test kit a liquid one?

Read this article and pay special attention to the part of the nitrogen cycle: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

You're in the midst of a fish-in cycle, which means you have to keep ammonia and nitrite under .25 otherwise your wish could suffer and die. Fish-in cycles generally entail 1x-2x 50% water changes a day, particularly with high bioload fish like mollies.

Good luck! The work is all worth it in the end!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom