Can someone tell me what this fish is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jodie_jo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a few new fish a few days ago, 2 big tetra's and....i asked for 1 scissortail. I didnt get any scissor tails, whilst i went and picked up some bits for my tank the girl at the fish store put my fish into a plastic bag and into a paper bag, i made the mistake of not checking that i had gotten the right fish, why should i?

Anyways, i brought them home, and got the tank ready to introduce them, when i too the bag from the paper bag, there she was, just staring right at me, i turned her around and discovered that she wasnt the scissortail i asked for but didnt have the heart to take her back. She seems quitre happy in the tank with the rest of them, but i would just liek to know what she (may not be a she, but i like to think so) is incase of any diseases, food requirements etc... come to think of it, what if it wasnt a fish that was compatible with my others??? Sillt fish shop girl!! I wouldnt mind but she asked mt twice which one it was that i wanted!

Anyho, here she is....

Attachments

• dsc00372_126.jpg
    dsc00372_126.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 27
It is indeed a female dwarf gourami, she is pretty. So you are right that she is a she! She should get along fine with the other fish. What else is in the tank besides the tetras and gourami though?

Very pretty fish, and a lucky find! I've heard of others on this board who were looking for females and said they were hard to find.

Females are pretty much impossible to find in my area (Queens/LI, NY). I was lucky enough to find a M/F pair at Walmart (even though I vowed to never buy fish there again). I only did it because I recognized that fish as a female. It figures that there was nobody working in the fish section, so I got the net and scooped them out myself. They were labeled at $2.84ea or something like that, so I paid less than $6 for the pair. That was on Saturday and they are doing very well so far.

Definately a female dwarf gourami! I have a male and female pair in my tank, a nice peaceful fish!

I've found in australia the shops dont stock the females because of thier lack of colour....
The male are much nicer, i had to get my female ordered in!

I have 4 neon tetras, one oto, and two congo tetras. I have read somewhere that the gouramis should come in 2's...do i need to get "Dora" a companion??

Thanks for your help!!

jodie_jo said:
I have 4 neon tetras, one oto, and two congo tetras. I have read somewhere that the gouramis should come in 2's...do i need to get "Dora" a companion??

Thanks for your help!!
Not necessary but you should get the Neons, Congos and oto companions ;)`

Back
Top Bottom