can someone tell me what this is???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone tell me what the heck this is? Black stuff on silk plant and on tank decor

ForumRunner_20120924_133015.jpg

ForumRunner_20120924_133027.jpg

Gross...what causes it? How do I get rid of it ? Is it harmful to fish?

Direct sunlight causes algae... You can get an algae eater to help out or you can just wipe it off... There is not much you can do about it . Unless you get the algae eater or you somehow prevent sunlight from entering your tank...

It's a bad spot on the pineapple just cut it out :) j/k now all the playing to the side.

More than likely its algae if the tank is new its going to start diatoms. They are normally brown but can be real dark brown almost black

yea it's probably just algae/diatoms. My tank gets it often. There are a few things that can cause it.

Aside from direct sunlight your tank lights can too if you leave them on for while through the day. It's common in newish tanks and takes an adjusting period or if your nitrates are on the high side this can increase the growth of it I believe too. Your water may be higher in some mineral or something that may make the agae have an easier time growing as well.

Wiping it off is easiest though don't let it get built up too much on plants and decor. It can be a real pain when it gets on fake plants. I just cleaned the decor from my new used tank that had out of control algae and I seriously have to use my nails to scrape it off in spots because hot water and scrubbing with a tooth brush wasn't cutting it.

I'm thinking I'm gonna replace the silk plant I have with something else

Diatoms feed off the silicates in the tank. Once they have eaten them all away, they will go away on their own. Because the tank is fairly new, they are still present in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom