can sum1 give me a small list on which fish can school in a

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
5 or 10 gallon?? i was thinking about silver tetras or zebra danios or neon tetras is there any other suggestions.
and how many should be in a school if their going in the 10 gallon they will have gourami fry in that tank shortly but if their going in the 5 gallon they will have a pleco and 2 dwarf gourami's

1) Any tetra
2) Danio rerio zebrafish- but not the giant danios - they get too big for these tanks.
3) Any barb
4) Any rasbora
5) White cloud minnows (I think they school?)

You could fit one school of five in a 5 gal and two schools of five in a 10 gal.

This is your fourth thread on this, I believe. Somewhere in there. I've lost count.. which means its too many.

Long finned zebra danios (Not the normal ones.. the normal ones are twice as large), glow-light tetras, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, tiger barbs (In the 10 anyways), rasporas, serpae tetras, skirted tetras, green fire tetras, just about any other tetra that stays under 2 inches, guppies (to some extent).

A pleco is unsuitable for either tank. 6 fish is considered roughly the minimum for a 'complete' school that will make the fish happy. My personal minimum is 8. Maximum of 6 in the 5 gallon (IF you remove the gouramis and the pleco). Most of them, like any other fish, will eat any fry you put with them.

If the fry and their parents are in the same tank, they may even attack the other fish if they feel threatened. Many larger fish, specificly cichlids, exhibit this behavior. Gourami's may not care and will possibly eat the fry and eggs themselves.

hmmm ic so i guess i cant have a school till i get another tank
hmm wut would be better a bristlenose or cory (i think their both algae eaters)

Cories are actually another fish that schools, but they're bottom and algae feeders. They need a minimum of 3 to be happy by most people's estimates and experience.

Bristlenose is a smaller variety of pleco, but still technically to large for either tank. They still grow to 6 inches.

hmm so will i be able to have cories then> thatll be awesome if i can cuz a school of suckerfish?? wutya think o dat?

hmm ill prolly be able to keep corys with the fry wouldnt i? and are corys meat or veggie eaters

Here's what I suggest.. Use the 10 gallon. Set it up and have it running, then go buy some algae wafers (Food for cories) and 3-4 cories. Do 10% water changes daily, watch the ammonia/nitrite levels. After 2-3 weeks, go get some neon tetras, 8 or so. Continue water changes for a few weeks, then you can which to bi-weekly, by my experience.

That's all you need in this tank. Go buy you a few smaller plants (Java fern specificly, very easy the care for and looks good) when you get the cories, they'll help with the cycle.

Worry about the gourami fry when they arrive. If you loose a batch or two to the parents eating them, no harm done, they'll have more.

but cant cories go with the fry?? cuz their like not predatory (i dun really want tetras anymore cuz i can get a school without like hacing those problems)

The cories probably would not eat the fry, but if they found the eggs before they hatched, they'd probably eat them. Gouramis use bubble nests, so this might not be that likely.

Any breeding generally requires careful consideration of the other residents. In most instances, eggs and fry are free food for the other fish.

if the cories will only eat the eggs i think ill get the cories after the fry hatch (if thats alright withyou)

You don't need my approval for anything. My only goal is to answer your questions in a manner that will help you to build a tank you enjoy to view.

One last thing for you consider:

What are you going to do when the fry grow up?

sell em and keep a female if thats not over the limit i thought it would be a good experience

Back
Top Bottom