Can tetras do well on their own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
I used to have 5...but 4 passed away due to high nitrites because as a novice I didn't really know about cycling and the effects it had on fish. One has lived and is all alone he seems to have grown accustom to my tank and doesn't seem scared of the others anymore its nose is bright red and it likes to follow my cories around lol. Will it being the only of its kind and have no one to school with cause it to be stressed and die? Cause I don't want to get enough for a school right away since I just got the cories and I don't want to overload my tank with new fish to fast.
Thanks in advance!

he'll be very stressed and scared... you should wait one week before adding more of his same kind

he'll be very stressed and scared... you should wait one week before adding more of his same kind

How many should I put in at once? Cause they sell them cheaper as 5 but if its not good to put 5 fish in a tank all t once ill do smaller amounts each week

Sounds like you have Rummynose, which are pretty small... So it shouldn't be an issue to add 5 at once. You might see a small ammonia/nitrite spike if you have a smaller tank, but it should even out on its own.

If you don't have any plants, keep the lights off until you add more tetras.

David

Tetras are a schooling fish for sure but my girlfriend had a lone neon survivor for a year in her tank she is moving in July so I took him home a couple a weeks ago and put him in with my four neons and three glowlights he was quite aggressive towards the smaller neons, he is the same size as my glowlights and bigger than my neons but after a couple of days he seemed to settle out. Once in a blue moon he goes a bit hyper and chases the little neons

Just wrote a report by accident when trying to post lol so sorry if someone gets some sort of thing sayings they were reported it shouldn't hurt you in anyway cause this is what I wrote on it, Yeah I have rummy's in a 20 gallon, there is some hornwort in there and a couple moss balls. By the way he's acting he seems as if he will be fine for the week, doesn't seem stressed/scared from the other fish. Thanks for all the responses!

Back
Top Bottom