Can this happen without a cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So what I want to do is take my new tank and set it up the way I want and then transfer what fish and filter I have over to the new tank so I can change the other tank. Question: is this possible with success
Question:should I bring some of the old water over or since I'm taking the plants and filter over is that ok

from what I understand if the filter from the other tank is cycled, thats all that matters, you can put it into a new tank and vowla, you have yourself a cycled tank!

xfactor6699 said:
So the water dont mean anything that would be awesome if true

water means nothing the bacteria liives in the substrate and filter. you can do that and have a instantly cycled tank but you may have a mini cycle as the bacteria colonize in the new substrate

The water contains virtually none of the healthy bacteria. Also, you would need a LOT of seeding material to instantly cycle the tank depending on the size of it. It it was small QT tank, a lot of filter material could handle the ammo, but if you just throw a used filter into a fairly large tank it will do virtually nothing other than help cycle faster.

Yeah I would rather deal with a mini cycle then cycling all over again... Will the fish be ok in a mini cycle and how long do they last

eco23 said:
The water contains virtually none of the healthy bacteria. Also, you would need a LOT of seeding material to instantly cycle the tank depending on the size of it. It it was small QT tank, a lot of filter material could handle the ammo, but if you just throw a used filter into a fairly large tank it will do virtually nothing other than help cycle faster.

I'm going from a 55 gallon to a 55 gallon

xfactor6699 said:
Yeah I would rather deal with a mini cycle then cycling all over again... Will the fish be ok in a mini cycle and how long do they last

Depends on the type of fish and how much work you're willing to put in. 50% daily pwc's are often required. How big is the tank and what type of fish?

I'm going to put the one running the tank now right on the other one at the last min so the bacteria is still alive

xfactor6699 said:
I'm going to put the one running the tank now right on the other one at the last min so the bacteria is still alive

Sorry, I don't understand. Sounds like you're going to stack them, lol. You're keeping both up and running or ditching the old one?

eco23 said:
Sorry, I don't understand. Sounds like you're going to stack them, lol. You're keeping both up and running or ditching the old one?

Both running

let me see if i understand-- you have a 55g tank that's cycled and has fish. you want to move the fish over to a new 55g tank so you can redecorate the old 55g tank? will it be a temporary thing? i say fill the new 55g tank with dechlorinated water, throw your existing filter on it, and move the fish over. monitor parameters closely and perform PWC's as necessary until they are ready to go back to the original 55g tank. i think that would be just fine. HTH

mommytron said:
let me see if i understand-- you have a 55g tank that's cycled and has fish. you want to move the fish over to a new 55g tank so you can redecorate the old 55g tank? will it be a temporary thing? i say fill the new 55g tank with dechlorinated water, throw your existing filter on it, and move the fish over. monitor parameters closely and perform PWC's as necessary until they are ready to go back to the original 55g tank. i think that would be just fine. HTH

Yeah, if it's that quick of a thing it'll be fine. Just don't go crazy replacing everything at once or you're gonna end up with 2 uncycled tanks.

Remember the majority of the bacteria is in the filter, but there's a lot in the substrate and every surface in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom