Can water test kits go bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilviaGTO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a freshwater test kit (drops not strips), and ive had it for maybe a year, little longer.

When I do my nitrites, pH and so forth, it all comes out fine and gives what im assuming are somewhat accurate results.

When I do the ammonia test however, everytime its been turning a dark brown. its not even a yellow color to the scale.

I dont think my ammonia is that far off the scale because all my fish are happy and healthy and not stressed right now.

So.. can these tests go bad after a while?

There was a thread in which someone mentioned how to interpret the dates on the tests. I forget how it was done, but all chemicals have a shelf life. The other thing that may have happened to the ammonia test is some sort of contaminate got in there.

I agree -- the chemicals do have a shelf life. If they are a year old, I would buy a new kit. I just replaced my kits after having them for a little over a year too. The kits with the dropper bottles are good. I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand. I did have the test strips once -- they always seemed to register the same result all the time.

ammonia test kit

Is this test a nessler or salicylate reagent based test? The nessler test can give false or weird readings when testing water that has been treated with ammonia products i.e Amquel or Ammo-lok. Have you used any of these or other chemicals in your tank lately? I bought a nessler based kit and got brown test results after using Amquel.
The salicylate based kits will not have these problems :) .
If your test kit uses one bottle of solution to test it is nessler, two bottles of solution is salicylate.

Well I do have amquel and I used it.

How do I see what kind of chemical based test I have?

I have the aquarium pharmaceuticals master freshwater kit.

If your test kit uses one bottle of solution to test it is nessler, two bottles of solution is salicylate.

Well that's info I didn't have. 8O Thanks, Now I know that my AP test kit is nessler type. Lucky for me I don't use ammo-lock or Ammquel. :D

Exp dates

Thats some good info I didn't know that I had wondered about. With timeframes like those unless your LFS or their wholesaler has had it in stock for a year or two then your good to go. A test kit last me little less than a year on average.
Learn something new every visit to this site :D .

Back
Top Bottom