Can we talk about QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kellie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 36G tank has been fully cycled now for a couple weeks and I've completed a lot of my intended stock being that all the fish were newer and the tank was newer I had not used QT for new fish yet.
Current stock:
5 Harlequin Rasbora
2 Espei Rasbora (going to get 3 more once they are available again at LFS)
3 Panda cories (also going to get 3 more once available)
5 Black Phantom Tetras

Along with the above I'm planning 6 neon tetras and longer down the line a pair of rams.

I wasn't planning on a QT for the remaining espeis and pandas. The espeis used to school fine with the harlequins but have stopped after the harlequins started acting like they want to spawn. The duo seems lonely. The pandas are doing great and I don't think the new 3 when I get them would be happy with my QT options so I want to get them into the school straight away as long as everyting looks good at LFS.

I DO want to QT the neons when the time comes to get them as after reading about it I'm terrified of neon tetra disease. How long should I QT them before I know they are safe from it? How many at a time can I QT in a 5.5G and can I leave the betta in if there is no aggression during the QT? There is an empty 3.5G he can be moved back into during this process if needed. This betta is very healthy and has proven very hardy during some terrible conditions he had to endure. There is also a 10G which is home to another betta, and ADF, and ghost shrimp. Would the neons do better QT in there, moving the frog from that tank is not an option, but that betta go go into the 3.5G and the shrimp can go to the 5.5G if necessary. My LFS has very healthy tanks so I'm not worried about anything other then NTD, never seen a sign of disease or ick, etc. and I've wandered there drooling pretty extensively on many occassions. From what I read NTD doesn't really seem to effect bettas. I think QTing in the 3.5 for more then 1 fish would be cruel, the betta lived there quite happily though previous to his 5.5G so not worried about it stressing him.

And as for the rams, when the time comes (not in any hurry for them at all want the tank to mature and see how the stock level looks before I even decide for sure if I want them) is it more stressful to move them into QT then out of QT, if I'm sure they are healthy can they just go straight into main tank?

Experience, opinions, and personal practices please share!

Do You need a QT Tank?

Hello Kel...

I've never quarantined my new fish. But, I regularly dose my planted tanks with a little standard aquarium salt. Most of the pathogens that affect aquarium fish are unable to tolerate traces of salt in the tank water. The aquarium salt also boosts the fishes' immune system.

I know the source for my fish pretty well. If you carefully examine your fish and it's tank, you can be reasonably sure you have a healthy fish. Things to check are: General tank cleanliness, no dead fish. Well maintained, clear water. As for the fish, look for good skin color, well shaped and erect fins, a well shaped body, not too thin, clear eyes and unblemished skin. Active and swimming quickly with the rest of the fish.

B

Corydoras and Salt

I was under the impression that panda cories were intolerant of salt?

Hello again...

That hasn't been my experience. I keep several different species of Corydoras from the large Emeralds to the medium sized Albinos and the small Pandas and Orange Saddles and have had no problems. If you keep the dose small, no more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your treated replacement water, the Corys do fine.

Plants also grow well with lower salt doses. I keep many different plants, from those planted in the substrate to floated and emersed too and they grow fine.

B

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I never even considered QT before reading about NTD, I trust the two local owned LFS here to have healthy stock, even the feeder tanks look healthy!

Do not trust your LFS. It is simply uneconomical for them to properly QT fish before selling them and many of them use the same water supply for all their tanks severely increasing the risk of disease/infection.

Neon Tetras are likely to stress your betta out so I'd avoid using the 5G in addition you're correct about 1 being the most tetras you could QT in your 3.5G.

It is not unusual for people to be unable to run a separate QT tank and if this is the case follow BBradbury's advice and be sure to check the stock of the fish your investigating buying. Any dead or sick fish in a tank and I'd avoid it like the plague.

Back
Top Bottom