can you change your water too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Senorjizzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so today as i was feeding my fish, i saw that my two bronze corys had really red gills, that really alerted me so i quickly looked up what could cause it.

i found it could most likely be high ammonia levels in the tank, and seeing as though i dont have a test kit yet (end of the month=broke), i cant test to see.
so i immediately did a 50% water change.

my question is this, until i get my test kit, is it okay to do a 50% WC every day for about a week? i just want to be safe,open to suggestions as well!

You need to get yourself an API freshwater kit so you can test on the spot. Yes your LPS or LFS may/will test your better off testing yourself when you want and not have to wait for someone else. Plus you never know what the conditions of the test tubes or the kits themselves are in.

Also, you can do 50% daily's if you need to until your levels drop. Fresh water is good water and good water means happy fish. Your using a conditioner I'm assuming.

In short... Get yourself a kit and maybe figure out why your levels are high to begin with...

Tank not cycled? Maybe not cycled properly? Overstocked? Over feeding? Non of the above?

Most lfs will test your water for free until you can get a test kit.

they offered earlier today while i was there, the only downside is that the closest LFS to the base i live on is 30 miles away (quarter tank round trip=why im broke). so thats impractical. but im going to start taking a sample anytime im on my way there.

Senorjizzy said:
they offered earlier today while i was there, the only downside is that the closest LFS to the base i live on is 30 miles away (quarter tank round trip=why im broke). so thats impractical. but im going to start taking a sample anytime im on my way there.

You can order an API master test kit for less than a qtr tank of gas. I've seen em online for like 17 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom