Can you have a pleco and 2 chichlids in a 20 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecostomus129

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a plecostomus in a 5 gallon tank (yes, I know that is way to small) and I am thinking about getting a 20 gallon with some chichlids. Would that be enough for my fish?

I'm not very experienced but I hear that Pleco need a 55 gallon(i don't believe it though)

I'm not very experienced but I hear that Pleco need a 55 gallon(i don't believe it though)

Believe it. a common pleco needs at least a 55g min at max size. Being as they can reach 20 inches. Mine was 15 1/2 before I got rid of him and a 55 was pushing it. At that size they are just waste factories.

Bristle nose plecos, rubber lips and clown plecos are a better choice then the common pleco

Problem is, I have a 5 gallon. ( no its not a typo) and 20 gallon is max for the amount of space I have. Would that be ok? My teacher a few years ago had one in that situation for multiple years, and it is fine with 2 African chichlids.

Problem is, I have a 5 gallon. ( no its not a typo) and 20 gallon is max for the amount of space I have. Would that be ok? My teacher a few years ago had one in that situation for multiple years, and it is fine with 2 African chichlids.

African cichlids need 55 gals +. They get big and need lots of swimming room. Depending on the pleco it needs 30-125 gallons.

African cichlids need 55 gals +. They get big and need lots of swimming room. Depending on the pleco it needs 30-125 gallons.

Well is it possible that I could add a few neon tetras? I would like more to look at since my pleco is never out in the day.

There are some Cichlids you can get that will work in a 20g tank. I did a lot of research on the forums and there isn't tons that can, but there're some, I went with a Bolivian ram in my 20g long. Hes not very colorful but hes still fun.

There are some Cichlids you can get that will work in a 20g tank. I did a lot of research on the forums and there isn't tons that can, but there're some, I went with a Bolivian ram in my 20g long. Hes not very colorful but hes still fun.

A pair of bolivians can work in a 20. I would recommend you try and rehome your common pleco.

Rams aren't African cichlids. Mbuna and peacocks need 55 gal longs. Haps need 6 foot tank (90 gallon).

It depends on what pleco it is. If its a clown you could probably get a school and centerpiece.

Living is NOT thriving! If you want your fish to be happy then you need to do one of two things. . 1. You need to get a 55 gallon tank (preferably bigger), yes I know you said you don't have the room but in all reality a 55 is not that much bigger! 2. You need to rehome the pleco... if you did that then you could have way more possibilities, and ALL the fish pleco included would be much happier! You can find cheap big tanks (55+) on Craigslist! Good luck I hope you do the right thing!

Living is NOT thriving! If you want your fish to be happy then you need to do one of two things. . 1. You need to get a 55 gallon tank (preferably bigger), yes I know you said you don't have the room but in all reality a 55 is not that much bigger! 2. You need to rehome the pleco... if you did that then you could have way more possibilities, and ALL the fish pleco included would be much happier! You can find cheap big tanks (55+) on Craigslist! Good luck I hope you do the right thing!

Agreed +1

Back
Top Bottom