Can you mix gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you mix a male three spot gourami with a male and two female dwarf gouramis?

Ive got a three spot gourami that I took from a friend as she had two gouramis in an 8 (uk) gallon tank. He really still needs a much bigger tank though as mine is only a10 gallon (again, uk gallons).

I've got another friend who's recently started a tank (i cycled her filter for her). I don't know her tank dimensions, but it's at least twice the size of mine, if not three times the size. She's already got the dwarf gouramis and three guppies in it and I was wondering if she could have my three spot too? She'd have another pretty fish and my gourami would have the space he deserves. Everyone's a winner :) but I've got a funny feeling I'm gonna be told it's not gonna work :/

They will provably fight, but it might not happen, if there is Alot plants and spaces to hide for both maybe works maybe not, depends on fish temperament as well!
I hope it works well for you!

They could fight if there is not hiding spots, and room for each to set up their own territory. Do you know exactly what size? Its usually best to have just one male gourami unless the tank is larger.

She's got a large piece of driftwood in there, but no plants yet. She wants to get some, but she probably won't be having a heavily planted tank. I.don't know the exact size of her tank, I'll have to find out next time I see her.
The dwarf gouramis are definitely taking possession of the driftwood though ;) if they did fight, would it just be to kinda figure out who's the alpha male, or would they actually kill? :/

She's got a large piece of driftwood in there, but no plants yet. She wants to get some, but she probably won't be having a heavily planted tank. I.don't know the exact size of her tank, I'll have to find out next time I see her.
The dwarf gouramis are definitely taking possession of the driftwood though ;) if they did fight, would it just be to kinda figure out who's the alpha male, or would they actually kill? :/

One could possibly kill the other, or it would be like a constant war between them. You could see a lot of nipping by the "alpha" and one might hide in the corner and not get a lot of food and eventually die. But If it is a large enough tank, I'd say it would be okay, but not exactly ideal. I'm no expert, but maybe a 40-55 gallon tank would be best to keep nipping and aggression at a minimum?

I would definitely not advise keeping a 3 spot with other gourami in a tank that size. It will need a larger tank itself if it fully matures and can grow.

HN1 said:
I would definitely not advise keeping a 3 spot with other gourami in a tank that size. It will need a larger tank itself if it fully matures and can grow.

Which tank? I know the 10 gallon is too small, that's why I want to move him. Do you mean he needs a tank more than three times that size?

The 3 spot should be in at least a 40 gallon tank minimum. With others I would say a 55 gallon with good plant cover.

Chronos313 said:
The 3 spot should be in at least a 40 gallon tank minimum. With others I would say a 55 gallon with good plant cover.

If thats 40 us gallons, thats very nearly three times the size of my tank :) I knew it needed a bigger tank than mine butI didn't realise it needed quite such a large amount of space :/

Yeah... a 40 breeder or 55 would really be in the cards. Upgrade time! :)

Sorry for the bad news. They are very cool fish.

HN1 said:
Yeah... a 40 breeder or 55 would really be in the cards. Upgrade time! :)

Sorry for the bad news. They are very cool fish.

:) wish I could upgrade! My landlord won't let me have a bigger tank though :) and I'm on the first floor so have to be careful with the weight of them.

I just thought that my tank was the lesser of two evils until I could find him a bigger tank. I didn't realise it'd be such a big tank he'd need. I don't think I know anyone else with a tank that big.

I may think about taking him to a pet shop, so they can give him to someone with a tank big enough. Don't know that I trust them enough though :/

Why would you be worried about the weight especially on the first floor. I'd say if two people at 300 pounds could stand side by side in one spot it's fine. All hogwash I say. Dumb landlord lol. I'm on the 2nd floor in my pad and I can get as large as a 90 gallon so to me your landlords full of it. Do you have people living beneath you?

Chronos313 said:
Why would you be worried about the weight especially on the first floor. I'd say if two people at 300 pounds could stand side by side in one spot it's fine. All hogwash I say. Dumb landlord lol

Heh heh :) yeah he doesn't have a problem with a washing machine, cooker and fridge freezer all along the same wall ;) it kinda freaks me out when I start thinking about how much weight is being held up by a few wooden beams! :/

Fishies86 said:
:) wish I could upgrade! My landlord won't let me have a bigger tank though :) and I'm on the first floor so have to be careful with the weight of them.

I just thought that my tank was the lesser of two evils until I could find him a bigger tank. I didn't realise it'd be such a big tank he'd need. I don't think I know anyone else with a tank that big.

I may think about taking him to a pet shop, so they can give him to someone with a tank big enough. Don't know that I trust them enough though :/

Maybe they can buy it off you. Some stores do that.

George9 said:
Maybe they can buy it off you. Some stores do that.

If I'm lucky ;) that would be really handy!

I'm looking at going for cpds and dwarf corys in my tank when the gouramis gone. Now I've got a better idea of what should or shouldn't go in a tank my size ;) so maybe that can go some way towards the cost of them.

will be sad to see him go though :( which is why it would have been great if my friend could have had him. Then I would've still got to see him. But it's not fair on him to keep him in such a small tank :(

Reactions: HN1
Ya I think if you go with the black sand, the corys and the cpd's with nice live plants and maybe a floating plant or two your tank would be sic. What would it cost you to go to a 55 gallon? I'm curious on British pricing.

Chronos313 said:
Ya I think if you go with the black sand, the corys and the cpd's with nice live plants and maybe a floating plant or two your tank would be sic. What would it cost you to go to a 55 gallon? I'm curious on British pricing.

I'm not 100% sure. If I get a tank with filter light and heater included, over £100 easy. If I go for the bog standard square cheapest one without a hood, about £40 maybe?

Trouble is I can't really even get one on ebay or anything either because none of them will ship, they're all "buyer must collect". Im on an island, and to get a return ticket on the car ferry, we're talking £50 at the cheapest! So it's just not cost effective. I'm so jealous when I hear about the dollar per gallon sales in america ;)

Haha I wish we had a dollar per gallon up here in Canada, lucky yanks get everything cheap. The cheapest 55gallon right now I've seen is $249.97 so I think your £100 tank is still cheaper with a ferry ticket.

Fishies86 said:
I'm not 100% sure. If I get a tank with filter light and heater included, over £100 easy. If I go for the bog standard square cheapest one without a hood, about £40 maybe?

Trouble is I can't really even get one on ebay or anything either because none of them will ship, they're all "buyer must collect". Im on an island, and to get a return ticket on the car ferry, we're talking £50 at the cheapest! So it's just not cost effective. I'm so jealous when I hear about the dollar per gallon sales in america ;)

I would love to live on an island! That sounds so cool!

Back
Top Bottom