can you put a couple dwarf puffers in a 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really. Puffer need extreamly clean water which is difficult to maintain in a small 5g tank.

Do add in salt.

Dwarf puffers only grow to 1". I definately wouldn't sugest anything less than a 5g, but if the tank is cycled before adding the puffers (either by fishless method, or by adding Bio-Spira) & 50% weekly water changes are done (like I so on all 10 of my tanks) the puffers shoulf be fine in there. Of course, you will need to filter & heat the tank too.

the puffers I had causeed al kinds of probs in my commun tank. Then I moved it to the venustus tank and on it's way out it killed one of them by puffing up in it's throat as it was being eaten

I'm just interjecting here - as a casual observer - how cool is it that there is a place where we can share opinions and what works for some but not others. One person says yes to the puffers in a 5gal. one person says not really. one person says add salt yet another says no. i love the dialogue but it sure gets confusing.....guess i won't be getting puffers anytime soon LOL good luck to you krap101 on whatever you decide

I'm just interjecting here - as a casual observer - how cool is it that there is a place where we can share opinions and what works for some but not others. One person says yes to the puffers in a 5gal. one person says not really. one person says add salt yet another says no. i love the dialogue but it sure gets confusing.....guess i won't be getting puffers anytime soon LOL good luck to you krap101 on whatever you decide

def do NOT use salt. dwarf puffers ARE entirely FW. i keep an otocinclus in my 10g to keep the algae down. they are notoriously peaceful fish but get along just fine with the puffers. no nipped fins; they seem to cohabitate well.

Back
Top Bottom