Can you put semi-aggressive fish with non-aggresive fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a heads up...I used to have Golden Killis a while back. They are also schooling fish and they are notorious jumpers. My tank was completely covered except for the filter out put and I would still find one every now and then on the floor.

I started with a school of 1 male to 5 females...they mate like crazy. When my school reached over 20, I started to given the extras away.

They are a beautiful fish, one of my favorites. (I later moved them to a 55 gallon because of the school being so big)

Let us know what you decide to put in your tank

oh and 1 other kind of tetra relative as well.. forgot what he is lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once your tank is staying stable start filling out your schools. Harlequin Rasboras and Cories should have friends. With the Rasboras you can sex them if you look carefully. Males black area is more defined and pointed on the bottom. Females are fuller bodied.
Try to get same species of Cory. Females are plumper and a bit wider seen from above.

ever since i moved the fish into this bigger 20 gallon the aggression has increase among the danios.. one of them died in the proccess of moving. are they just fighting for power? are they going to keep going like this? can i add more danios safely? and btw will that tetra get aggressive hes showing signs of it now pushing my cory cat around and what not

From the photo, it looks like you have a white skirt tetra, as for the aggression...I have no clue but maybe they are figuring out their territory....I never had danios and I always keep my fish in schools with plenty of plants and hiding places.

From the photo, it looks like you have a white skirt tetra, as for the aggression...I have no clue but maybe they are figuring out their territory....I never had danios and I always keep my fish in schools with plenty of plants and hiding places.

thanks pamiam id does seem the the agression is cooling down a bit

It has black on its dorsal not a white skirt( berry) does it have a red heart on its side. It looks very stressed and faded. The aggression it is showing is because it's alone. You need atleast 5 and it will not be Agressive towards your Cories. They will keep themselves in check.

Golden wonder killis are not schooling fish. They do just fine alone or in pairs. They can, however be kept and groups if desired but they're not required to be in schools like Cory Cats. My golden wonder is the only one of her kind in the tank. If I can find one, I'm going to try and get her a mate but she's full grown and it's hard to find them that size in my area.
Also that tetra looks like a very stressed bleeding heart tetra or a lemon tetra.

I was thinking bleeding heart but you can't see any red at all in its side!!! So stressed either way

Golden wonder killis are not schooling fish. They do just fine alone or in pairs. They can, however be kept and groups if desired but they're not required to be in schools like Cory Cats. My golden wonder is the only one of her kind in the tank. If I can find one, I'm going to try and get her a mate but she's full grown and it's hard to find them that size in my area.
Also that tetra looks like a very stressed bleeding heart tetra or a lemon tetra.

whats the best way to destress my fish because i also have a balloon blue ram and he is also very flushed of color and i think hes stresed and does not need to be in a school either. any advice?

How did you cycle your tank? What are your parameters?

Your shark could have possibly died of overstocking... That sounds like a lot of fish for a 10 gallon. Go to aqadvisor.com and see if your tank is OK. What are your water parameters? Those are important to know if you want a more detailed analysis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your shark could have possibly died of overstocking... That sounds like a lot of fish for a 10 gallon. Go to aqadvisor.com and see if your tank is OK. What are your water parameters? Those are important to know if you want a more detailed analysis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fish don't die from overstocking. Cichlids are typically housed like this to keep aggression spread evenly. It's when people don't take care of the water. Since it is overstocked nitrates would rise a lot faster. If the Keeper only does 10%pxc obviously nitrates are going to be rising faster then you removing them and will poison your fish.

Fish don't die from overstocking. Cichlids are typically housed like this to keep aggression spread evenly. It's when people don't take care of the water. Since it is overstocked nitrates would rise a lot faster. If the Keeper only does 10%pxc obviously nitrates are going to be rising faster then you removing them and will poison your fish.

Overstocking can lead to poor water quality, stress, stunted growth, shortened life span, etc...all of which can lead to death.

A 10g is small so values can change quickly. Things that you can get away with in a 55g, don't work in such a small environment.

Yes, African Cichlids are sometimes heavily stocked to spread aggression. But this is done in large tanks with lots of hiding places and extra filtration and with proper knowledge of which species should cohabit without killing each other off.

Also nervous species, even as babies, may panic and hit walls in small tanks.
Bala Shark babies often kill themselves when kept singly in small tanks.

Personally I advise stocking 10g tanks with Nano fish species that can live out healthy happy lives within that volume of water.

20g tanks need to be stocked carefully as well. What works for a 20 Long may not work for a 20g High tank.

One thing I noticed. You have White gravel and white decor. Fish try to match their surroundings, esp when they are nervous.

Black gravel or sand with some live plants would probably bring out your fish's colors a lot more IME.

If that's a real Coral skeleton it may change your water chemistry.

I use real plants and real driftwood and natural rocks in my tanks. But that's just my style.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395873114.830978.jpg
This is an old pic of one of my tanks.
I was trying to get a pic of my CPDs. They almost glow when they are happy.

Back
Top Bottom