Can you put semi-aggressive fish with non-aggresive fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cb172635

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,
im very frustrated right now because I went to the fish store yesterday and got a couple of fish, and not until later do I find out that I need a bigger tank size but my fish might be in danger of getting basically eaten by the other fish... so my question still stands can you put semi-aggressive fish with docile fish? even if you got the aggressive ones as babies and they mature in the non-aggressive community? please help?!:banghead::facepalm:

Depends on the fish. More details needed. I would take them back anyway if your tank is not big enough.

I agree about the tank size. The aggressiveness of the fish depends entirely on its tankmates. A Guppy or betta is far far more fragile to being attacked when compared to a rainbow or pleco.

well i have a red tail shark and a cory cat in a 10 gallon which im soon to change to 20 gallon but the cory is much bigger than the shark at this point so im not so concerned at this point but when i put them both in the 20 what will happen?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ive heard that the shark will no matter what get very agressive and attack the cory and ive also heard about some experiences where they acted civil together anyone have any insight or experiences with this matter

It depends on the type of fish you're talking about. That won't work because a 20g is too small for a shark but if you had a 55g+ it would most likely work.

C paleatus , Peppered Cories are great fish. Try to get at least a 20 Long to give them more room. They like rounded sand and lots of live plants. They should be in a group of 5-6 minimum. More is better.

My red tail shark (she is 7 inches full grown) is in a 55 gallon and I never had a problem...but they are very territorial and need their own "house or hiding spot". I have many little caves and shelter for mine to choose from. They like to chase other fish but mine never hurt fellow tank mates. * a 20 gallon is way to small for shark and you would be stretching it for cory's.

I even taught my shark to play hide and seek, they are a very smart fish.

As for the cory's, like everyone said, you need to have 6 or more, they are schooling fish.

I hope this helps

yea thanks everyone it did! but today when i woke up for some strange reason that i havent figure out yet my shark was dead.. there were no indicators as to why he was, he was acting completely normal the night before, water parameters are in check and other fish are acfing completely normal... any ideas?

Uh seeing as you listened to the worker at your lfs, have you put your tank through the nitrogen cycle? I would get an API master test kit or nutrafin mini master liquid test kit. And test for ammonia nitrite and nitrates. How long has your tank been set up now? Also what are the other fish in the tank.. Your profile say 4 1.2-2 inch fish...

yes tank is completely cycled i went through all the procceses and ive have the tank up and running without fish about 2 months.. with about a month and a half... the other fish are golden killifish zebra danio and a cory cat

yea thanks everyone it did! but today when i woke up for some strange reason that i havent figure out yet my shark was dead.. there were no indicators as to why he was, he was acting completely normal the night before, water parameters are in check and other fish are acfing completely normal... any ideas?

I had a similar experience with my first rainbow shark. Woke up and he was dead on the bottom.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yes tank is completely cycled i went through all the procceses and ive have the tank up and running without fish about 2 months.. with about a month and a half... the other fish are golden killifish zebra danio and a cory cat

Do you only have one danio? I would bump that school up bump your Cories up and keep your killi as your centerpiece and put everything In atleast a 20-29gallon.

What are your parameters? Also what are you using to test?

Just a heads up...I used to have Golden Killis a while back. They are also schooling fish and they are notorious jumpers. My tank was completely covered except for the filter out put and I would still find one every now and then on the floor.

I started with a school of 1 male to 5 females...they mate like crazy. When my school reached over 20, I started to given the extras away.

They are a beautiful fish, one of my favorites. (I later moved them to a 55 gallon because of the school being so big)

Let us know what you decide to put in your tank

Just a heads up...I used to have Golden Killis a while back. They are also schooling fish and they are notorious jumpers. My tank was completely covered except for the filter out put and I would still find one every now and then on the floor.

I started with a school of 1 male to 5 females...they mate like crazy. When my school reached over 20, I started to given the extras away.

They are a beautiful fish, one of my favorites. (I later moved them to a 55 gallon because of the school being so big)

Let us know what you decide to put in your tank

i actually just got done installing and setting up a 20 gallon long with the same fish (1 harleyquin rosbora, 1plati cory cat, 1 blue ram, 5 zebra danios, 1 algae eater, and the killi) used to be six danios but one had a crushed jaw and face when i saw him after the move i possibly caught him with the net or something.. he couldent eat so i had to get rid of him :,( but other than that my tank parameters are near perfect and all the fish seem to be healthy ??

Back
Top Bottom