Can you think of any fish that meet these requirements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for a fish that meets a few of the following requirements:

Current setup:
Tank: Fully cycled (fishless) 55 Gallon
Filtration: 360GPH HOB and an EHEIM Classic 2213 Canister.
Ebo-jagger 250 watt heater
Substrate: Sand

These are the things I'm looking for in a fish:
- Not too huge; I'd like to have 3 or more fish in the tank (not including a Pleco)
- Piscivore; I need a fish that'll eat guppies. My girlfriend has a 10 gallon tank with guppies that breed like rabbits and it's in need of some population control.
- I'd like them to be at least somewhat lively, and interesting to watch.

I'm open to any suggestions at all.. cichlids or otherwise. I can make due with one 'main' fish that eats the guppies as long as it'll get along with a few other smaller tank mates.

Thanks!

you could try some kind of puffer. but i dont know if itll get along with sumtin else. you could try a couple angels but they arent piscavores. hmmm.. i forgot the name but theres a catfish thatll ge tup to either 12" or 20" cant remember.. its a piscavore and it has really long whisker thingys.. thatll work. i think.

i think i know the answer but is it saltwater or freshwater

oh yeah its a pictus cat... they are bottom feeders though so i dun think ud want dose. you could try a school of piranas :)

If you are willing to go brackish (half way salt water... approx 1.010 SG) then I would truly recommend a columbian catfish (aka black fin shark). Arius jordani. They grow up to 10" in aquarium, and are BEAUTIFUL to watch. And the shark name fits them very well. They swim so gracefully, and are very peaceful, yet when a guppy is put in the water, they go nuts! The dorsal fin pops up like a shark and they go into hunting mode. You will never see a more graceful fish in my opionion. I have never once seen mine stop swimming, and she NEVER hides. She is always very active. Just note that while they are not schooling fish, it is recommended to keep them with 1-2 others. They are aggressive to anything significantly smaller than them, but other than that they are very peaceful. And they have never sucessfully been tank breed, so no worries about them multiplying.

Your LFS will keep them in fresh water as juveniles but they must be acclimated into brackish ASAP for their health.

I hope that helps! FYI my avatar is a columbian shark.

-brent

The columbian catfish sounds really cool, but it sounds like my tank is just too small for a fish of that size, let alone 2 others to go with it...

I'm doing the idenical thing. I recently moved my african cichlids to a new 75 gal. I now have my 55 gal cycling and want about 3-4 fish. I think I want 2 black convicts and 1 jack dempsey. I'm not sure about the dempsey though because it might get too big at 10 inches.

I was also considering convicts or Green Terrors. Will either of these eat guppies? Is my tank large enough for these fish?

Convicts are aggressive and will eat little fish usually within seconds of being put in the water.

I'm going to breed my own food though because I read that the feeders at the store carry disease due to the poor tank conditions and contaminate your tank.

Almost any fish big enough to catch and eat fry will eat them as long as it isnt a suckermoth or a complete vegetarian. Anything that will eat live food would probably eat fry especially of another species. Blue or gold rams, barbs, and rainbowfish would be my top choices.

cage2321 said:
I'm going to breed my own food though because I read that the feeders at the store carry disease due to the poor tank conditions and contaminate your tank.

I've read that they're only really aggressive when they're breeding.. my only problem with them is that they breed like rabbits (kinda like my girlfriend's guppies) and then instead of having a guppy population problem, I'll have a convict population problem.

savga said:
Almost any fish big enough to catch and eat fry will eat them as long as it isnt a suckermoth or a complete vegetarian. Anything that will eat live food would probably eat fry especially of another species. Blue or gold rams, barbs, and rainbowfish would be my top choices.

Well, the guppies can eat their own fry without too much trouble.. I was looking for something that could eat a nearly full grown guppy.

Back
Top Bottom