Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can you treat Gouramis like Bettas?

Out of curiosity, and lust for knowledge. Since both Gourami and Bettas
belong in the same family of fish. Can you treat Gouramis the same as Bettas?

To be more specific, Can you take care of Gouramis like you would to
Bettas? (small Bowl, no filtration, no heater)

Since these species have their labyrinths to breathe air, I'm wondering if you
can let Gouramis live in a Betta bowl/kit.

So if you can clarify that'd be great

Old 10-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only if you take care of your betta properly. Considering an adult male betta is between 3 and 4 inches it should be in at least a 5 gallon tank if you take the inch per gallon rule into consideration. Bettas do best at 78 degrees which chances are means you will need a heater. If you clean your tank once a week with at least a 30% change then you should beable to get by without a filter as long as you test daily for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites.

So basically if you take care of a betta properly you can do the same with a gourami.

Those little betta bowl kits are being sold are a scam, they are bought thinking it is a perfect home for a betta then when the betta dies the owner goes out and buys another fish thinking they had a bad betta.

On a side note I have 2 bettas that are 5 years old that are properly taken care of.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 1 Year +
Community Moderator

a gourami gets pretty big... most sites that sell gouramis, and stores as well, recommend 15 gallons per gourami...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i ment like dwarf gouramis the size of bettas

and also my cousin has a betta and he's had it for probaby 2 months now, and
it seems fine, it actually looks much more healtheir ever since it was bought
Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Whoa! I have to step in her and say that you can NOT treat gouramis like bettas! You cannot even treat bettas like bettas if your idea of caring for a betta is putting it in a bowl without heat!

Bettas are tropical fish who NEED NEED NEED the same care as any other fish: heat, a decent-sized tank (2 gallons and up) and benefit from filtration. These fish can live for about 5 years (I have seen 7!) with adequate care.

Just a note: there are no dwarf gouramis the size of bettas... maybe you were thinking of a sparkling or sunset gourami?
2.5g: Lou Reed (Betta) and Brian Cale, (Zebra Snail). Planted.
kellyinvancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My dwarf gourami is only a little bigger than my bettas. If you include the tail of the bettas, they are the same size, if not a little bigger.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyinvancouver View Post
Whoa! I have to step in her and say that you can NOT treat gouramis like bettas! You cannot even treat bettas like bettas if your idea of caring for a betta is putting it in a bowl without heat!

Bettas are tropical fish who NEED NEED NEED the same care as any other fish: heat, a decent-sized tank (2 gallons and up) and benefit from filtration. These fish can live for about 5 years (I have seen 7!) with adequate care.

Just a note: there are no dwarf gouramis the size of bettas... maybe you were thinking of a sparkling or sunset gourami?
Very well said.

Tags
betta, bettas, eat, gourami, gouramis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com