Can You Use A Smaller Light Fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hamsnacks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently have a 5 Foot Tank, with 2 24" Light Bulbs. They are in need for replacing, they are your standard T8 Fluorescent Bulbs.

It will run me about $50 to replace both, but trying to go away from them. A neighbor is taking apart his set up and said he could sell me his ZooMed AquaSen LED HO 36" Fixture, basically brand new for the same price.
Now I know these LEDs are stronger and this particular make has very good reviews.

However if I go with this unit and put it right in the middle I'll be off 12" on each side. Could I get away with this or not? Currently have 2 Bala, 2 Rainbow, 1 Angel and 6 Barb, also looking at getting some real plants.

Also side question, would the light work for sustaining plants, or if I went the standard T8 Fluorescent Bulbs that said on the box they promote plant growth, are those good enough lights for the fish as well?

Thanks

Hello Ham...

For the $50.00, you could get a four bulb fixture and T8 bulbs from the local hardware store and simply hang it above the tank. You could easily arrange the plants so they were directly under the light. Go with low light plants like Anubias nana and nangi, Cryptocoryne and any of the Swords. The bulbs last well over a year before they need to be replaced.

B

Hello Ham...

For the $50.00, you could get a four bulb fixture and T8 bulbs from the local hardware store and simply hang it above the tank. You could easily arrange the plants so they were directly under the light. Go with low light plants like Anubias nana and nangi, Cryptocoryne and any of the Swords. The bulbs last well over a year before they need to be replaced.

B

Thanks for the advice, that's also what I was thinking, do it myself type of thing. Just have to convince myself to do all that. But if I were to go with his fixture, even if he gave me a better price, do you think it would be strong enough?

Back
Top Bottom