Can you use aquarium salt with Dwarf Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you do this because I'm pretty sure my gourami has fin rot so i want to treat it fast. PLEASE HELP

Yes you can use aquarium salt. However when treating fin rot it is important to eliminate the root cause, such as overfeeding or overstocking. I recomend that you skip adding the salt a do a 50% water change every day until the gourmai has fully recovered. What size tank do you have and what are its inhabitants. Can you test your water parms as well. If so please post the results.

Reactions: HN1
My water almost a week ago had an extremly low ph so my gourami wasn't doing very good so he started laying down and then my platys started nipping his fins so now he is in a isolation tank still in the main tank and i do daily 20 percent water changes and he still keeps on losing fins. Could it be possible the platies are biting him through the holes.. Tank mates three platies. 10 gallon tank.

Fish Problems

Can you do this because I'm pretty sure my gourami has fin rot so i want to treat it fast. PLEASE HELP

Hello ed...

Sorry about your fish problems. You know, you'd really give yourself a better chance for success in the "waterkeeping" hobby if you got a larger tank. The small tanks just don't have enough water in them to allow a mistake in tank management.

I started in the hobby (seriously) with a 30 G tank. There was more water to dilute chemistry problems and my fish were able to survive my "learning curve".

Just a thought.

B

Fish Fin Rot - Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment

here's an article about fin rot. gourami's do well in a lower ph so unless yours was off the charts i don't think that was a problem. what are your ammonia and nitrate readings? are you using a good water conditioner? most people on this site recommend prime by sea chem. how many platys do you have? i agree with bradbury that it is difficult to maintain a 10 gal tank. you should probably only have the gourami and 1-2 platy in there. also small(1-1 1/2 gals) daily water changes might be called for until you see some improvement in the gourami's fins.i would try the water changes and salt first before adding any chemicals to the tank. make sure to temperature match the new water when you add it. good luck.

Mine wasn't even readable on the API test kit. I use Top Fin water condtioner. Someone said melafix works wonders. Should i use it then? How much salt should i sue?

If i change water daily should i add the new salt back when i change water. How will ibe able to know how much to add back in?

If you change water, there is no need for the salt at all IME.

It speeds up the fin rot curing though doesn't it? I got some ammonia results it is at 0.25-0.50PPM. Just changed the water.

No. Aquarium salt can help delay nitrite poisoning, at best.

I've read in different places that aquarium salt helps cure fin rot.

HN1 said:
If you change water, there is no need for the salt at all IME.

I agree with this 100%, allot of people believe salt will help and some don't but I have always believed that good clean water will do more for your fish in the long run.

eduguy said:

I had corys whos fin rot progressed extremely quickly I ended up using melafix to cure it. I didn't try strict water changes to cure it but it was probably my biggest learning curve and I had no idea what to do...

I'm doing lots of water changes and it doesn't seem to be recovering.

I had an angel fish that had a nipped fin from my larger angel, then I started to get fin rot and almost lost its entire top fin, I used Melafix and swear by it now. Cured the rot by the second day, then I saw regrowth on the third or fourth. I just did a WC about every 3 days then just put it in every other WC until I didn't feel the need for it anymore

Back
Top Bottom