Can your tank water make you sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a big water change and moved some decorations around on Friday night. My hands were in the water a lot. At one point a few drops splashed on my face. That night a fever hit me like a truck and I've been having some terrible... uh... intestinal symptoms. I'm thinking it's a coincidence but I'd like to hear some thoughts. I'm always careful to wash my hands and arm after sticking it in the tank.

Yes.

You can catch waterborne diseases from aquarium water. Disease can be contracted by entering through an open sore, ingestion of contaminated water, and even skin contact with water.

Some waterborne diseases can clear up within an few days and some are very serious. I recommend consulting a physician, your health isn't something to wager with.

All the same garbage you can get from messed up water sources in nature can live in your aquarium.

That sounds like a coincidence. :) Think of all the people, everyday, that accidentally get a mouthful of tank water while starting a siphon. Beyond that, millions more who are putting their hands in the tank for extended periods of time without consequences. Just having your hands in and getting splashed a bit will not hurt you.
I would not suggest drinking the water, but in general even that is not necessarily that big of a deal. The water that goes in the tank is drinking quality. Plus you treat it. And, you change it out with more drinking quality water. You certainly have the potential for some tummy-upsetting microbes to get in there though. So, I don't suggest drinking it. ;)
There are a few diseases that could be potentially harmful, like TB. But, that is very rare in an aquarium setting, not really worth fretting over.
Also, keep in mind that most diseases have an incubation period and do not manifest symptoms mere hours after exposure.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I must say, I like absolutangel's answer the best. And no, I would never drink the water on purpose. ;) I think it was just a random stomach virus.

Thanks everyone. I must say, I like absolutangel's answer the best. And no, I would never drink the water on purpose. ;) I think it was just a random stomach virus.
Yeah, I did not assume you would. It is just the natural next part of the question. lol. I have definitely swallowed some tank water a few times when I was not paying enough attention when starting the siphon.

That sounds like a coincidence. :) Think of all the people, everyday, that accidentally get a mouthful of tank water while starting a siphon. Beyond that, millions more who are putting their hands in the tank for extended periods of time without consequences. Just having your hands in and getting splashed a bit will not hurt you.
I would not suggest drinking the water, but in general even that is not necessarily that big of a deal. The water that goes in the tank is drinking quality. Plus you treat it. And, you change it out with more drinking quality water. You certainly have the potential for some tummy-upsetting microbes to get in there though. So, I don't suggest drinking it. ;)
There are a few diseases that could be potentially harmful, like TB. But, that is very rare in an aquarium setting, not really worth fretting over.
Also, keep in mind that most diseases have an incubation period and do not manifest symptoms mere hours after exposure.

I agree it was PROBABLY random. But it's possible that if water leaked into your pores you could have gotten a small virus, doubtful though.

I just had my arms in a bucket if filter crap for minutes... If I turn into a zombie we know why;) I work with my hands so they're usually cut up and I haven't had any issues yet ( knock on wood)

If you were able to get anything from your tank, I'd assume it would be bacterial. That would probably manifest as an infection of an open wound or irritation of the digestive tract. Like anything else that feeds and multiplies, it would be more likely to affect someone if their immune system was taxed or suppressed.

I'm a hardcore "germophobe" (emetophobe, more accurately), so I looked into this before getting into the hobby just in case. Keep your hands washed both before and after you move things around in there and you should be good. A small amount of water splashed into your mouth is probably not going to hurt you unless you're already sick or have an existing medical condition.

If you were able to get anything from your tank, I'd assume it would be bacterial. That would probably manifest as an infection of an open wound or irritation of the digestive tract. Like anything else that feeds and multiplies, it would be more likely to affect someone if their immune system was taxed or suppressed.

I'm a hardcore "germophobe" (emetophobe, more accurately), so I looked into this before getting into the hobby just in case. Keep your hands washed both before and after you move things around in there and you should be good. A small amount of water splashed into your mouth is probably not going to hurt you unless you're already sick or have an existing medical condition.

Yes, I've also been doing some reading on this topic since I still use the old fashion suction system to syphon water from the tank to bucket or sink and been doing it for about 3 decades.
Since fish excrete their waste and spread their bacteria and God knows what else into the tank's water that we handle and sometimes even swallow, I'm surprised there aren't more fish related diseases, infections or sickness.

Like my dad always says 'you ain't bathing in it' I've swallowed a few mouthfuls of tank water in my time using a siphon.

One time, in a reaction to get stop me ingesting it a spat it back in the tank. 'If I was going down, the fish were coming with me! Lol we were both fine.

There are probably all sorts of bugs in there but a healthy immune system would shut them down I would have thought.

Like my dad always says 'you ain't bathing in it' I've swallowed a few mouthfuls of tank water in my time using a siphon. One time, in a reaction to get stop me ingesting it a spat it back in the tank. 'If I was going down, the fish were coming with me! Lol we were both fine. There are probably all sorts of bugs in there but a healthy immune system would shut them down I would have thought.
funny I've been faced with the same scenario and held it in my mouth to spit in a bucket, I guess I'll go down before my fishes...

While it may be rare that you pick something up, a case of fish TB, caused by Myobacter marinum is a serious infection that takes several months to clear up.

Don't ever start a siphon by using your mouth!
My LFS showed me a simple way to start a siphon.
Hold the tube used to clean the gravel in the fish tank and quickly thrust up and down. You have to use about 4-6 inches of water when doing this.
In a few seconds the water will start siphoning out. Very simple to do.

The circumference of my siphon makes it difficult to get it going this way without disrupting the sand and scaring the life out of my fish.

It is another method though.

funny I've been faced with the same scenario and held it in my mouth to spit in a bucket, I guess I'll go down before my fishes...

Same. I have either swallowed it or spit it in the bucket because I didn't want the fish to eat my saliva. No ill effects yet, so I assume it is going to be ok. Though, there is a chance that the addictive properties of fish keeping spread through the water. MTS (multiple tank syndrome) is contagious after all. :lol:

I have NEVER been able to get that up and down method to work. So, mouth it is. I know that another way to do it is to submerge the whole thing underwater, then plug both ends and lift the draining end out and let it go over the bucket. But, with a larger siphon, that is more likely to get water all over so I don't like to do it.

Back
Top Bottom