canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fonze

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's the best external canister filter for a 125 litre in the UK?

IMO there is no "best" canister filter. There are a few very good brands. One of my favorites is the Fluval 306. I have one on a 40 gallon (about 150 liters) and it is about perfect. The Rena Filstart XPS (previously called the XP1) and XPM (XP2) would also be great options.

I agree. There will always be that random filter that can be difficult, but stick to your main brands and you should be OK. Canisters can have more bells and whistles so if any of those appeal to you, by all means. GPH would be the only thing to pay attention too.

I agree. There will always be that random filter that can be difficult, but stick to your main brands and you should be OK. Canisters can have more bells and whistles so if any of those appeal to you, by all means. GPH would be the only thing to pay attention too.

And even then, canisters are far more efficient than other filters so GPH isn't as important.

Canisters do have higher GPH than others. Not all are created equal. A xp2 is far less in filtration than say FX5. Ones tank maintenance routine can help where the filter lacks on turnover.

look into aquatop cf300 264gph 3 big media trays and only 100 bucks i have the cf500uv and so far i love it great flow and quiet as a mouse

aquatraders.com

look into aquatop cf300 264gph 3 big media trays and only 100 bucks i have the cf500uv and so far i love it great flow and quiet as a mouse

aquatraders.com

Aquatop is a good option for the price, but does not even come close to being called the best. With inaccuracies in the flow rates and plastic parts that have the original molding run offs. Also, they go buy other names as the design does not have a patent and can be copied.

Rena Xp series
Fluval x05, x06, and fx5 series
Eheim (German made)

Being the best...

I personally use 2 xp3s in my 55 and an eheim 2217 on my 40...

Attachments

• image-1617849529.jpg
    image-1617849529.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1190071044.jpg
    image-1190071044.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 56
If money isn't a problem an Eheim 2217 is pretty much the best you can get for that tank size

The fluval 05 range i think are great also the tetratec ex700 i have both and cant fault them

"Eheim Experience" recently emerged to the market, it is essensially an improved re-launch of the eheim professional 1 series, they are good but lack the features of the professional 3 and 3e series, but are cheaper.

this could be an option if you want a good brand but aren't up for the price of a pro. 3

I have been using an aqua clear aquis 500 but have noticed that is isn't working as well as it used to. I got it second hand with the tank when I bought it from eBay. I have a fluval internal filter the u3 that has been brilliant.

Thanks for all the advice, I have bought a fluval 306 and have the new media in soak in the dirty water from the water change earlier. Hope to fit it tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom