Canister filter for 10g planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well seeing how my 10g tank has given me absolutely nothing but issues part of which is the flow from my HOB filter either not circulating enough water when I turn it down or blowing out my betta's tail when I turn it up high enough.

I have decided that it's time to upgrade to a canister filter with a spray bar. Currently I am looking at two different ones either a Zoo Med 501 canister for turtles or a Rapids Mini Canister filter C-80.

They look about equivalent in the reviews so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some other good canister filters with a spray bar.

The problem with the HOB filters like the aqua clearn is that they cause my betta's tail to go from

this
75748-albums12252-picture56350.jpg

to this
75748-albums12568-picture60016.jpg

Which is why I need a good filter with a spray bar to circulate the water through my tank with the least amount of water current possible.

When you find a good mini canister let be know. I've been on the look out for a while now. Seems the Rapids canister is pretty crappy from what I've heard. That along with the price has stopped me trying one out myself.
Have you considered a mini sump? I'm thinking of trying out a mini DIY PVC overflow and 3g sump design on an 8g tank I have. Would never trust an overflow on a large tank but I suppose a few litres from an overflow of a small tank is easily handled lol.

When you find a good mini canister let be know. I've been on the look out for a while now. Seems the Rapids canister is pretty crappy from what I've heard. That along with the price has stopped me trying one out myself.
Have you considered a mini sump? I'm thinking of trying out a mini DIY PVC overflow and 3g sump design on an 8g tank I have. Would never trust an overflow on a large tank but I suppose a few litres from an overflow of a small tank is easily handled lol.

Having an overflow that isn't clear is asking for trouble imho. If possible I would do it with clear tubing if you can find the right parts for it. I bought an overflow for my 20g reef tank that I have to fix approximately once a month due to air getting inside the tubing threatening to break the siphon.

I did think about using a small sump for my tank but it's sitting on my dresser in my bedroom atm and it's not really feasible to do a sump due to its location.

What have you heard bad about the rapids filter? The only issues I've heard of from it were due to some of them leaking. Otherwise they apparently perform very well.

I've been having problems with my HOB filter on my 10gal as well and would love an inexpensive(but not worthless) canister for it. Looking forward to seeing what people suggest. Make sure to give us a review of which ever one you choose.

I know the sunsun 603-B would be an option, I've had great luck with my sunsun canister. It's pretty tiny, so you wouldn't really gain much media room over a HOB, but it's fine if you want a spray bar. Mini External Canister Filter L Table Top Nano Fresh Salt Aquarium Sunsun 603B | eBay

Is the one you have the same one you linked? I'm not worried about media room at all. I have 1 betta and 4 cory cats in a 10g heavily planted high light tank. Ammonia isn't something I worry about :)

I was worried about that particular filter because there aren't hardly any reviews about it.

Having an overflow that isn't clear is asking for trouble imho. If possible I would do it with clear tubing if you can find the right parts for it. I bought an overflow for my 20g reef tank that I have to fix approximately once a month due to air getting inside the tubing threatening to break the siphon.

I did think about using a small sump for my tank but it's sitting on my dresser in my bedroom atm and it's not really feasible to do a sump due to its location.

What have you heard bad about the rapids filter? The only issues I've heard of from it were due to some of them leaking. Otherwise they apparently perform very well.

Clear makes complete sense. The syphon breaking is why I'd never trust anything like that on a large tank.

The leaking is a big thing. I've also heard that they don't preform very well unless they are inline with the tank, not under.

Have you tried a bottle baffle on your HOB?

I got the sunsun canister filter and have mixed feelings about it. It does circulate the water very well and I like the design of the intake and spray bar although it's difficult to get the suction cups to stick well enough to anchor them down.

My biggest complaint is that the canister does make a little noise, especially when compared to my eheim ecco canister on my 55g but for the price difference it's an acceptable compromise. It was also a bit of a bear to get primed. Other than that it works as needed.

All in all I'm happy with the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom