Canister filter for a 15 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank-o-Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been running my 15 gallon tank for half a year now, stocked with 13 Rasbora Merah and 5 Dwarf Rasbora's. I'm planning to do completely redecorate the tank and everything in it (except for the fish, haha): I'll add even more plants (mainly moss and grass), driftwood, a school of Rasbora Brigittae and some shrimp. Now I'm considering changing the filter too. At the moment I'm running the Bioflow filter that came with the tank, but it takes up quite some space and I figured a canister would look nicer. Maybe even better for the fish?

I was thinking of the Eheim 150 (2211), which is rated for up to 150 litres (40 gallon). Would you guys recommend it? I can get it second hand for about 15 euro, although I'm not sure if it's wise to buy a second hand filter (I would probably have to buy media aswell). Will this filter produce a subtle enough current for small fish like Rasbora Brigittae? Is it true that I only need to submerge the filter intake and leave the return pipe above water (= out of sight)? I'd prefer it if you'll barely see the tech in the tank since that's the whole idea of this upgrade :)

juwel-bioflow-mini.png

arrow_down.png

Eheim+classic+150.jpg

I know, a lot of questions, thanks for thinking along :)

For 15 Euro you can't go wrong if it work OK. It should not be too strong for a 15g. You can slow the flow down some by packing the chamber with a little extra media padding. OS.

I run a canister filter on my 10g that's rated for a 20g tank. I'm not sure of the model but ill post when I get to a pc.

The thing to worry with buying a used filter is the need for replacement parts such as an impeller. Those alone can cost $20

I run an Eheim Ecco 2232 with custom made Lily Pipes on my rimless 10g. It's rated for a 35g. I just aim my return where I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to contact the seller then to see whether the pipes are included, hope so since I'm also going to have to buy filter media (poor college student here). I'm thinking of ceramic media and a sponge filter, that should probably be sufficient?

Really like what you've did with the Lily Pipes, Coursair! That's exactly how I'd like to see it since I'm not a fan of those ugly green pipes that (probably) come with the filter. Did you attach them to the standard piping or replace the pipes and outlets altogether?

I used the included tubing but the Lily Pipe outlet and Intake are Custom made acrylic. A club member made mine. They don't make them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
syju7y8y.jpg
gu3y2ygu.jpg
eze8a5u8.jpg

That does look very nice indeed. I'll probably go with the standard piping, and when they bother me too much I'll buy lily pipes or start my own DIY project :)

If money is an issue skip the ceramic media and go to the dollar store. They sell plastic pot scrubbers that work amazingly well for biological filtration. Then head to wal mart for some pillow stuffing that you can use for mechanical filtration.

That's some great DIY advice, will definitely keep that in mind! I saw this ceramic media and filter pad for about 11 euro's together so if that's sufficient (I'd rather skip half measures), it would be perfectly fine. The Eheim Filter Media Set however costs 3 times as much, might be a bit overkill :rolleyes:.

I'm currently running a ZooMed 511 which is rated for up to a 60 gallon aquarium on a 15 gal shrimp tank without issue. Flow on the ZooMed is adjustable and I currently have it connected to a reverse flow undergravel filter.

I just got my Eheim 2211 in the mail! Found an even neater one for 30 euro's, a bit more but the lady even stocked it with new filter media for me! I'm going to plug it in now and let it run next to my Juwel filter for some weeks.

But before I do that, this media should be good right?

Attachments

• 2014-04-11 12.10.38.jpg
    2014-04-11 12.10.38.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 99
I ran a canister and bio wheel on my 30 and the flow was never to heavy plus my tank was very clean lol. With the two I had filtration for a 180 gallon tank :).

Well, it's up and running now and the flow doesn't seem too heavy indeed :). Thanks for the help guys!

It didn't go flawless though. At my first attempt the watter sputtered out of the canister seal quite fast. Turned out to be the little rubber ring which wasn't in place.. It's running perfectly now, but I can imagine cleaning it being quite a pain since there aren't any 'double taps' included (the hoses are attached directly to the canister). Not sure how one would disconnect that easily..

Also the suction cups of the outflow pipe can't get a grip on the textured background. I tried attaching it above water to the lid, worked fine but the sound of the water falling is way too loud. I could attach it to the side, would not look that good though (or I'd have to attach them both to the same side but might not be optimal for good flow and filtering). I've just stuck it under my submarine deco for now so it can cycle :).

If money is an issue skip the ceramic media and go to the dollar store. They sell plastic pot scrubbers that work amazingly well for biological filtration. Then head to wal mart for some pillow stuffing that you can use for mechanical filtration.

Do they have Dollar Stores and Walmarts in Holland? :rolleyes:

Do they have Dollar Stores and Walmarts in Holland? :rolleyes:
Nope, but we have similar stores. The media was provided with the filter so that's not an issue anymore. I'm still in doubt about the outflow placement. Maybe on the side of the tank, but just above water level (so it shouldn't be visible) and aimed at the glass (so hopefully you don't hear it). Not sure if that would work though, might not even fit.

Back
Top Bottom