canister filter lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have a 55 gallon tank. Up and running for about 4 months now. I have around 14 cichlids. Im running 2 eheim eco 80s. And a marineland 350 canister filters. Also a powerhead with the filter attachment. Also have a 9 watt uv coralife sterilizer. Water quality in the tank is great. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite. Low nitrates . I do 30% water changes a week. My problem is the lines of my canister filter get so gunked up inside the lines. Cleand them out about 2 weeks agoand they already have build up inside them.the inside of the tank is spotless no algea build up. What can I do to cut down on this build up. Also my phosphates are near zero. I dont know what the build up is. But I think it building up a little too fast. Its a PITA to keep pulling the lines off to clean them. Any suggestions. Thanks

Maybe you could try changing the type of tubing? Instead of smooth vinyl tubing you could try to use fluval's ribbed/corrugated tubing. maybe that would help with the buildup?

Are they clear vinyl? If so, algae can grow in them pretty quickly if they get just about any amount of light. Switch to a "smoked" (dark) vinyl tubing.

Are they clear vinyl? If so, algae can grow in them pretty quickly if they get just about any amount of light. Switch to a "smoked" (dark) vinyl tubing.

Agreed most are smoked or black vinyl. There maybe build up but your never gonna see it lol.

I never really thought of that issue. I "hard-piped" my lines with pvc to my canister filter, I only have about 1ft of the clear green tubing that eheim provided and its in the cabinet of the stand so very little light gets to them. will my pvc pipes get clogged up eventually even with no light?

maybe that wasn't such a good idea, if they do get clogged its gonna be a chore to get them off

I never really thought of that issue. I "hard-piped" my lines with pvc to my canister filter, I only have about 1ft of the clear green tubing that eheim provided and its in the cabinet of the stand so very little light gets to them. will my pvc pipes get clogged up eventually even with no light?

maybe that wasn't such a good idea, if they do get clogged its gonna be a chore to get them off

Eventually, yes. That is why you should always use unions when hard-piping your plumbing.

I tried the black lines doesn't make a difference. The lines run down the back of my tank which has a black background. So they dont get much light to begin with. Even the lines under the cabinet get gunked up. Even right after my uv. Maybe going to try thr ribbed fluval lines you suggested. Does anybody know what the stuff actually is. I hear a lot of people talk about they have the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom