Canister Filter Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindyk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Marineland C Series Canister Filter for a 55 gallon tank that I purchased last year. I can't seem to find good information on the maintenance of the varying media used in the trays. I am using Seachem Gravel instead of charcoal, I have the black plastic barrels and the ceramic donut shapes. The bottom tray is the black foam. And on the very top is the white floss. Do I need to replace anything besides the floss on a regular basis or just rinse the different trays? And how often do I need to perform maintenance on the canister filter? It seems to be performing well so far and I have only taken it apart maybe 4 times in the last 9 months. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Some people clean their filters monthly, while others clean them quarterly, and still others clean them biannually. Depends on a ton of variables - it's really something to find out for yourself. Over time you'll figure out what's best.

The only medias that need to be replaced are chemical filtration and maybe floss or stuff like that. Not sure as I do not use those kinds of media.

Change floss when it blocks (can be rinsed a few times if you want)
Change sponges when they fall apart. But only change one half at a time.
Change chemical media once expired. Change all at once.
Leave the bio media in place. (Rinse in tank water) if you need to change this, proceed with caution, change half at a time and monitor tank, shouldn't need changing.

Only use tank water to clean filter parts on a functional system.

The media should be placed
Into filter,
mechanical (sponges/floss) (floss here prevents premature blocking of bio stage)
Biological (bio balls/ceramics etc.)
<bio & chemical can be reversed>
Chemical (if used) -depending on media, sometimes a secondary floss stage
(Optional floss)
Output-return to tank.

This ensures the cleanest water for the various stages of filtration.

Other than that, filter maintenance is not the same from tank to tank. It really depends on stock.
Do it as often as you feel necessary.

Are the doughnut shaped rings the one that came with the filter? If so, those are polished and have little porosity. I would gradually replace those with more porous media such as fluval biomax.

Back
Top Bottom