Canister Filter media tips, tricks, suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night during my 'weekly' cleaning/water change, I realized I had the darn thing set up wrong. I had the J return pipe inside the tank. That's how the Fluval worked. I found out that with the Eheim, this tube is supposed to hang over the edge of the tank. If there's something about the Eheim I don't like this has to be it. The tube has a mind of it;s own and its hard to get the tube to stay in the desired position. I ended up turning down the flow through one of the valves, meaning that the filter is now filtering less water. I'd like to turn the flow back up, but the stream is detrimental to the plants/fish. Anyone have a solution?

Your J pipe should have come with two suction cups that help attach it to the tank. That is not the best solution however, because it is hard to get the suction cups to stick to a background. Get a spray bar for the J pipe and suction cup it where you want it. You can do this for about almost nothing with stuff from Home Depot (small pipe that you drill holes in, suction cups, clamps), or you can get an Eheim spraybar and extra suction cups for about $8. I went with Eheim parts so my stuff would match:

spray.jpg

You can also use the spray bar from your Fluvalif you still have it.

The Fluval was a newer model which didn't come with a spray bar. It was a similar J tube but actually went completely inside the tank. The old fluval had a spray bar. Not sure if it's still around or not. Have to check. I really don't like spray bars though, but if it works, I'll go with it.

Back
Top Bottom