Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Canister filter problem

I have the internet cf 1. The problem is that the water has started to run over the top of the filter pads. I have had them in just over 4 months and clean them in tank water once a month, I just cleaned them today and it hasn't changed anything. I also clean the whole outer and inner case and I have cleaned the impeller, and have dropped the water level! How do I sort this problem?

Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, the filter contains 1 alge pad which is green and 1 carbon fibre pad. To put fresh in, can I do one at a time, as in just change the carbon pad one month then the algae pad in 2 months time to keep the beneficial bacteria?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the same filter in one of my tanks. The white pad containing the carbon is supposed to be changed out monthly. You can get away with it for a little longer but once the water starts running over the top you should replace.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitekat87 View Post
I have the same filter in one of my tanks. The white pad containing the carbon is supposed to be changed out monthly. You can get away with it for a little longer but once the water starts running over the top you should replace.

Will that mess with the good bacteria, or will there be enough on the green pad to keep the tank ok?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishyc View Post
Will that mess with the good bacteria, or will there be enough on the green pad to keep the tank ok?
If you can set it up so that you change each pad minimium 2wks apart then you should always be good for the BB. I have no experience with this canister, or any, so I don't know how hard it is to change these pads. But, if you space it out then shouldn't be a problem for the BB.
Current Stock - 14 Columbia Tetra/11 Serpae Tetra/16 Prisella Tetra/6 Yoyo Loach/1 Red Tail Shark/10 Giant Danio /2 Lazer Corys/6 Bolivian Rams/4 Otocinculus /6 Borneo Suckers/ 1 Albino Bushy Nose Pleco/ Flame Moss / Moneywort / Vallesaris / Java Fern...
jeffruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffruth View Post
If you can set it up so that you change each pad minimium 2wks apart then you should always be good for the BB. I have no experience with this canister, or any, so I don't know how hard it is to change these pads. But, if you space it out then shouldn't be a problem for the BB.

Thank you, it's quite easy to change them, I just didn't want to put the fish at risk!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

There was space in mine to add a mesh bag with some ceramic rings in that will be better for B&B to grow on so I don't have to worry about changing the pads
Old 12-05-2017, 04:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitekat87 View Post
There was space in mine to add a mesh bag with some ceramic rings in that will be better for B&B to grow on so I don't have to worry about changing the pads

Mine has ceramic rings in the back, I stupidly didn't think the bacteria would grow on them

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com