canister filter question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon fresh water community tank. I am currently using an emperor 400 filter ( works great ) but I'm thinking about getting a canister filter just to get rid of that hob filter. I have noticed when doing research on canister filters that one spec is a height number. Can I assume that is the highest lift that the pump can pump water?

Never heard of a "height number.". Can you give an example?

I run AP Filstars (formerly called Rena) in all of my tanks and I love them. The oldest one I've had for almost 7 years and it runs like the day it was new.

I have a 55 gallon fresh water community tank. I am currently using an emperor 400 filter ( works great ) but I'm thinking about getting a canister filter just to get rid of that hob filter. I have noticed when doing research on canister filters that one spec is a height number. Can I assume that is the highest lift that the pump can pump water?

I've never heard of a height number either, sorry. I do know that since switching from my penguin 350 that I'm in love with my fluval 406 for my 55 gallon.

Ok...I kind of found the answer. That refers to maximum distance the pump will operate and still give you the rated flow. The number refers to the distance from the bottom of the pump to the top of the waterline in the tank. What is a good size filter for my 55 that won't break the bank.

If your tank and stand are relatively standard height, I don't know of a canister filter that wouldn't work for your set up. Have you measured the distances and compared the numbers?

From the floor to the top of my tank is 49". Most of the filters I've looked at had a height rating of 54" or more so I guess that would be no problem

Ok...I kind of found the answer. That refers to maximum distance the pump will operate and still give you the rated flow. The number refers to the distance from the bottom of the pump to the top of the waterline in the tank. What is a good size filter for my 55 that won't break the bank.

I've heard good things about the Rena's and filstars like the one posted earlier. I have the fluval 406 on my 55 gallon because I plan to upgrade to a larger tank soon, but if you plan to stick with your 55 a 306 (rated up to 70 gallons) would be great for you. Canisters in general are cheaper to maintain, do a much better job filtering the water and you can customize the media to fit your needs. Really most of the big name canisters are great filters, you'll have people swear up and down their filter is the best haha, but honestly you can really just pick whichever one you like best

Keep in mind that most motors/pumps on canisters are at the top, so you could be at approx 37 inches from top of tank (not waterline) to motor/pump. You should be in good shape. Most canisters and pumps have a head height rating to give you efficiency within a given distance.

I bought a marine land c-560 canister for my 75 gallon sa cichlid tank. Its rated for 150 gallons and works wonderfully. All brands are good a lot of people like ehiem but they are pricey. Just read up on whatever canister you are interested in.

Back
Top Bottom