Canister Filter Reccomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking for my first canister filter. I was thinking Eheim 2215, fluval 306, or Marineland Magnum 350 pro. Its for my 29 gal that will be fully stocked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I much rather a fluval any day but that's just me iv had 3 fluval's and they are real good in my opinion

I am running two Fluval 406's in my 75 and they work great. Definitely recommend them.

Would the 406 be to much flow for my live plants though?

That, I'm not sure of. I didn't know there were plants that were sensative to currents. The filter has and adjustable lever to restrict or allow more water flow, but when you restrict it you'll obviously have a less turnover rate of water volume.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would definitely get something that includes a spraybar output for a 29. The spraybar will help diffuse the output which will probably be better in a smaller tank like that.

Personally I would get the Eheim over a fluval all-day long. The build quality is just so much better.

I am not a fan of the Marineland Magnum Pro series. I did not even know they still made them.

It is literally a tube with a bunch of holes in it that connects to the output .

Like this:
eheim400431-1.jpg

I would get a hot magnum by Marineland there like a canister that hangs on the back of the tank real easy to clean and they have a micro filter you can use to make the water super clear it also filters out ick swimmers
it is the perfit size for that tank also

I would get a hot magnum by Marineland there like a canister that hangs on the back of the tank real easy to clean and they have a micro filter you can use to make the water super clear it also filters out ick swimmers
it is the perfit size for that tank also

I've read those hob magnums are a total pita to clean, heard they work well for water polishing though, not so much bio filtration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is always nice when I see I can easily make something for the tank :) just need the stiff tube and a drill bit

After further research I have decided on the fluval 306. Not as messy maintenance from what I have read, and they just seem like the superior filter. It did come down to the nitty gritty things though as both appear to be on equal levels.

Good choice, I think. I'm very happy with my two 406's. They're easy to maintain and do their job well.

Back
Top Bottom