Canister Filter Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ledzilla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a canister filter to replace the "over-the-back" filter currently in use for the last two years with my 44-gallon tank. The problem I have is that the aquarium and stand are too tall, and the required length of hose to reach from the filter to the inlet/outlet exceeds the maximum as defined in the filter's documentation. The problem I'm having is trying to design some kind of stand for the filter to rest upon. I want something that won't be easily ruined by water (as it will get wet), strong enough to support the weight of the canister and contained water, and yet won't cause any kind of excessive noise due to vibration from the pump. I honestly can't think of anything good. I was going to try a 5-gallon bucket with some felt on the bottom of it, but I can't fit the bucket through the storage in the stand into the space behind.

Can't you make a small stand out of wood and paint or varnish it well?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is an option, but not at this time of year. I don't have anywhere indoors to work on such a project.

5 gallon bucket flipped has always worked well for me

Like I said, I can't get a 5-gallon bucket to fit where I need it. The storage space in the stand opens up to the area behind the stand and under the aquarium, but it's only about a foot wide. And unless I'm going to completely drain the aquarium, remove all substrate, and get a friend to help, nothing is moving from the corner of the room where it all resides.

That's why I'm hoping someone has an idea on what could fit in there. I really can't get my brain to consider anything other than a 5-gallon bucket.

How much higher do you need to elevate the filter? If it is only a little bit you can get a small step stool (one designed for children) that might be small enough to fit but tall enough to do the job.

Another option: Can you return the filter you purchased and get one that is a little more powerful/does not have the same height restriction?

It's too late to return it as I had delays before I was able to try and get things setup, and I'm beyond the 90-day return policy. As for stools, I haven't seen any that are less than a foot wide.

It's too late to return it as I had delays before I was able to try and get things setup, and I'm beyond the 90-day return policy. As for stools, I haven't seen any that are less than a foot wide.

Less than a foot wide is gonna be tough to find. What about making one out of 2x4 scraps at the local Home Depot or lowes? Many times you can buy scrap pieces really cheap. you can find them by near the lumber section or ask someone around there where scrap pieces of 2x4 are. A couple of nails and/or braces/brackets for under a dollar each and you can make a simple yet effective and inexpensive stand for your filter. Custom made for the height you need.

Like I said, I can't get a 5-gallon bucket to fit where I need it. The storage space in the stand opens up to the area behind the stand and under the aquarium, but it's only about a foot wide. And unless I'm going to completely drain the aquarium, remove all substrate, and get a friend to help, nothing is moving from the corner of the room where it all resides.

That's why I'm hoping someone has an idea on what could fit in there. I really can't get my brain to consider anything other than a 5-gallon bucket.

Sorry, I missed that

Is it not working at all? Just wondering if it was tested. Apologies if I missed it.

On mine I also use the ceramic noodles but all standing upright so I get good flow. In mine I then doubled the media but thinking here you could reduce the media if poor flow rates.

Get a 2x6, cut it into pieces (many lumber places will cut it for you) stack them, and glue them.

Voila! Super cheap and very very easy.

What about a plant stand from the hardware store? Mine has many to choose from in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Since they're meant for heavy potted plants, they're sturdy and usually waterproof

Get a 2x6, cut it into pieces (many lumber places will cut it for you) stack them, and glue them.

Voila! Super cheap and very very easy.

Good idea. Or a couple of cinder blocks/bricks from the landscaping section with some felt or other padding on the bottom and top. Can't get much more sturdy than that.

Actually, I was about to comment that someone had recommended using cinder blocks. I had gone to get a couple new fish since the last of my gouramis mysteriously got sick and died, leaving my pike cichlid all alone (it spent a lot of time hiding until it had new tankmates). I was chatting with the staff and they said cinder blocks are commonly used for this.

But a plant stand isn't too bad of an idea either. I'll have to pop on over to the nearest Home Depot or something and see what's available. Don't know if these guys are national or not, but just outside of the Chicago suburbs is a chain called Blaine's Farm & Fleet which I think would be a good bet for a cinder block, and they're a short drive away.

Back
Top Bottom