Canister filters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Already have an HW304B canister on my 75 gallon (soon to be) discus tank and I love it! It has a flow rate of 525 and they don't lie about that. I am probably getting a new tank anywhere from 180-300 gallon tank and I will be needing another filter for the big tank.
My questions...

What size of filter would you guys get to work in unison with the one I have?
And
What kind would be best?

I have a 220g and run a Fluval FX5 and a Fluval 406, then have to small powerheads at each end of the tank to make sure there is water movement throughout the tank. I would use both.

Rivercats said:
I have a 220g and run a Fluval FX5 and a Fluval 406, then have to small powerheads at each end of the tank to make sure there is water movement throughout the tank. I would use both.

What kind of fish do you have?

I always suggest a combined gph rating which is 6 times your tank volume, for example, if you get a 180 gallon tank, you'll want 1080gph of filtration. For a 300 gallon, go for 1800gph. And the powerheads are a good idea.

FX5 is a great canister with a huge flow but I agree with the addition of another maybe a Fluval 406 to supplement, power heads are a definate especially if its a long tank. If its a column or cyclindar style tank the FX5 would be good enough with just a power head to supplement.

What kind of fish do you have?

I have the following in a heavily planted 220g tank:

10 Veil and Super Veil Angelfish
21 Rummy nose tetras
12 Diamond tetras
5 German Blue Rams
4 Electric Blue Rams
2 Gold Rams
3 YoYo loaches
5 Corydoras sterbai
5 Corydoras panda
5 Corydoras agassizi